hi, writing a book based on history of scaffolding

njw3000

Reaction score
Anyone ever read "A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian" by Marina Lewycka? It's not really about tractors but in it one of the characters is writing a history of tractors (and he happens to be Ukranian). It's a great novel - very funny.

Anyway, I've started writing a novel and one of my characters (loosely based on my dad, who was a scaffolder all his life) is writing a history of scaffolding and reminiscing about his life in scaffolding.

So my question is this: how much and in what ways has the scaffolding industry changed in the last 50 years?

Thanks guys, already found this site very helpful for some technical insights.
cheers, Nigel. (in Manchester)
PS: my dad used to work for SGB and then Digby's (London-based firm)

There is only one man on here you have to talk too and that's charlie, not that there are not loads of experienced men who could tell you loads of stories but Charlie has all the material to hand.

Good luvk with the book.

hiya njw. was ur dad called sid by any chance??

thanks, Aom. I'll drop Charlie a line. Just been looking online for books about scaffolding. Found one from 1986 and one from 1932...

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

hiya njw. was ur dad called sid by any chance??

No, he was called John.

There was a picture of an old book posted on here from around that time, as usual I cant remember where but I'm sure Charlie would have been involved. You might well be able to help me with a query of my own to which I already believe I have the answer too but Mr Paddy Carr refuses to accept even the possibility it could be true. It's in regard to scaffolding terms and one in particular, a "Birdscage" scaffold which was widely accepted on here as because of the shape of the structure resembled an old Victorian bird cage but I always felt it was more likely from Cockney rhyming slang for stage. If you could help find an answer to that one in your research I would be grateful.

Just so I could stick it to the bloke from the wrong side of the wall.:D

There was a picture of an old book posted on here from around that time, as usual I cant remember where but I'm sure Charlie would have been involved. You might well be able to help me with a query of my own to which I already believe I have the answer too but Mr Paddy Carr refuses to accept even the possibility it could be true. It's in regard to scaffolding terms and one in particular, a "Birdscage" scaffold which was widely accepted on here as because of the shape of the structure resembled an old Victorian bird cage but I always felt it was more likely from Cockney rhyming slang for stage. If you could help find an answer to that one in your research I would be grateful.

Just so I could stick it to the bloke from the wrong side of the wall.:D

dont give the cockneys credit for that one aswell:sad2:
i think paddy could be correct. IMO

Welcome njw and good luck with the book, let the forum know when its finshed, should make interesting reading

dont give the cockneys credit for that one aswell:sad2:
i think paddy could be correct. IMO

don't care, I will just fight it until I am proved correct or till at least I find one person who agree's with me.:D

Anyone ever read "A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian" by Marina Lewycka? It's not really about tractors but in it one of the characters is writing a history of tractors (and he happens to be Ukranian). It's a great novel - very funny.

Anyway, I've started writing a novel and one of my characters (loosely based on my dad, who was a scaffolder all his life) is writing a history of scaffolding and reminiscing about his life in scaffolding.

So my question is this: how much and in what ways has the scaffolding industry changed in the last 50 years?

Thanks guys, already found this site very helpful for some technical insights.
cheers, Nigel. (in Manchester)
PS: my dad used to work for SGB and then Digby's (London-based firm)

Nice idea mate.
Good luck writing it. :)

aom paddys 100% its because it looks like a fecking birdcage.

best wishes with the book scaffolding has only really changes dramatically in the last 15 years with the harness,double handrail and the fun being taken out of the game.

aom paddys 100% its because it looks like a fecking birdcage.

best wishes with the book scaffolding has only really changes dramatically in the last 15 years with the harness,double handrail and the fun being taken out of the game.

You forgot to mention not being allowed on site with trainers, Hard hats becoming compulsory, and don't get me started on LEP.
Moan Over
All The best with the book NJW.

health and safety even though half the cants on the site cant even talk english,but get yer harness on even though you are only basing and not going off the deck:mad:

Welcome njw and good luck with the book, let the forum know when its finshed, should make interesting reading

thanks. It's gonna be a magnum opus, so don't hold your breath. Of course I'll let people on here know when it's finished and published. You can get the ball rolling on word-of-mouth...

Incidentally, what can people tell me about the NASC? I'll start a thread, see what the word is on that body... (National Access and Scaffolding Confederation). cheers.

thanks. It's gonna be a magnum opus, so don't hold your breath. Of course I'll let people on here know when it's finished and published. You can get the ball rolling on word-of-mouth...

Incidentally, what can people tell me about the NASC? I'll start a thread, see what the word is on that body... (National Access and Scaffolding Confederation). cheers.

start a thread on the NASC that'll take over word association

In my opinion not worth the investment of time and capital to join :wondering:

SGB issued a magazine with old photos. The horse and cart gear deliverys as pictured might be before your dads time.

Scaffolding has changed along with society, no longer can we wrestle on the 3rd lift on a Friday afternoon and see who is the last one thrown into the sand by the mixer or see who can pop a hemp in of their chin. Scafs turn up on site with their man bags and copies of esquire and moan about dry hands. You can still have the crack but have to find other methods. I'll let you know when I think of one.

There is an authority on scaffolding called Stewart Champion, used to live in surrey I think. Not sure if he is still alive but among the most knowledgeable people in the industry.

Top Bottom