Public sector industrial action

Consider this.

1. How many people employed in the private sector have had a pay freeze or even a pay cut?
How many have had to put extra money into their pension to have any hope of getting anything from it when they retire?
How many have had to put more money in for a number of years?
How many can't afford to retire?
How many people work at companies' where there has been cutbacks or redundancies?
What have the unions done for anyone who have suffered any of the above?

Nothing.

2. The public sector workers might have to work longer.
They might have to put more money into their pensions but this is only just happening.
Public sector workers have enjoyed more secure employment prospects for decades.

This happens and the union's answer is the usual......strike!!!!!!!!!!!

The private sector has been propping these guy's up for years, welcome to the real world.

I work in the NHS, work bloody hard, get threatened by my clients, occasionally attacked, I recently have lost a whole grade worth £7000 a year after 18 years of uninterrupted service, constant learning (including a recently attained first class honours degree) it's utterly humiliating. The services that are moving in to take the jobs traditionally in the public sector are less well trained, we have to work alongside them and I have to keep correcting their (in some cases extremely risky) mistakes and have to smile while I'm doing it. It's not all as clear cut and simple as it may first appear. I'm not a fan of striking, never have done and never intend to but anyone got any ideas what I can do to fight back?

Last edited:
Britsh jobs for british workers ring any bells's ?????
Did not see the country supporting us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
70hrs + a week just to get a good wage and no money when its time to hang up the spanners !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FUUCK the public sector

I work in the NHS, work bloody hard, get threatened by my clients, occasionally attacked, I recently have lost a whole grade worth £7000 a year after 18 years of uninterrupted service, constant learning (including a recently attained first class honours degree) it's utterly humiliating. The services that are moving in to take the jobs traditionally in the public sector are less well trained, we have to work alongside them and I have to keep correcting their (in some cases extremely risky) mistakes and have to smile while I'm doing it. It's not all as clear cut and simple as it may first appear. I'm not a fan of striking, never have done and never intend to but anyone got any ideas what I can do to fight back?

Not really much of an idea's man but after getting closer to the NHS than I ever wanted too I do sympathize. I am actually a big fan of the idea of a NHS and a welfare state but the bottom line is if we haven't got it we can't spend it. That's a motto the private sector has had to live with and deal with since time began and the public sector will have to be brought in to line. I don't mean to sound uncaring as positions such as Nurses should be cherished especially when you could go private and double your money and half your work load. As you say maybe not as clear cut but there are going to be tough times ahead regardless of what sector or job you have.

im all for it,dont blame the nurses or the teachers etc for the **** up the banks have made of the world not just britain.
what has the government done since coming in like the proverbial knight in shining armour to save us all,**** all but put people on the dole and then have the cheek to propose cutting the 50% tax on the highest earners IE ALL THE TORIE PARTYS BILIONARE FRIENDS WHO TAKE EVERYTHING OUT OF THE COUNTRY ANYWAY.
its maggie all over again sell off everything the people of the land own then sell it back to them to make massive profits for the few who then hide it in an offshore account.BRITISH GAS,BRITISH TELECOM ALL THE WATER COMPANYS THEY WERE OURS AND SO WERE THE PROFITS:mad:

I feel sorry for some public sector workers ( NHS , emergency services , care workers ) as for the rest I feel they have been getting away with it for years . Gold plated pensions and as many paid days of sick as you can muster and then throw in non stop holidays . It`s time to get real . I am no fan of America or how they treat their workers but all of their teachers and municipal workers are self employed or work for an agency . Try a bit of that sh1t and the average public sector worker may realise how lucky they are , by the way my wife is a primary school teacher so you can imagine the argy bargies we`ve had .

Couldnt care less, this country is fooked one way or another anyway!

come on tae feck robbo you are actually advocating the use of agency workers as the way ahead.
gaz yer right the countrys fecked but surely its worth a fight.all the tories want is to smash the worker and do away with anything that has been fought for,dont blame the grafters for not wanting to give up what they have fought for.
the tories used to have the odd middle class and even the odd working class member now they are made up solely of millionaires and old etonians,they dont give a feck for the working man,only care about making more for the haves and feck the have nots.
whats happened with the so called tough on emigration,nothing because they want the cheap labour here to feck us and keep the wages down.
maybe if scaffs had as much balls as the public sector there would be no need to start the sccr,just look at that thread apathy apathy poor me.
back to the beer now

Do you support the planned strikes ?

Would you back the strikes if asked by the union ?

:mad:

In one word, No!

Would all the Pen Pushers doing non jobs (thousands were created during the 13 years of the last Labour Government) be supporting us when we have a grievance ?.......... there's your answer :rolleyes:

I worked in the sector for over 10 years
I joined the pension scheme at the time
It was an agreed level with pension based on final salary
Now they want to move the goal posts
For anyone starting a new role and signing up to the way they want to run them is fine
But why should someone invest their hard earned money (ok not all work hard) for years to have the guardians of the pot who have been able to use the funds and made bad choices turn round and say oh we are cutting your payment now its based on average earnings and not on final earnings

Think about it you start on 10 k work your way to 25k over say 10 yrs that’s a hell of a cut

Fair enough point Mitchell's but what would you have them do? The cash just isn't there it's gone.

I don`t advacate agencies one bit , all I am saying is you should know when you have had it to good .

Do you support the planned strikes ?

Would you back the strikes if asked by the union ?

:mad:

Fair enough point Mitchell's but what would you have them do? The cash just isn't there it's gone.

but is it the places that have had the investment are infact assetts that could be profitable use the profits or sell them to refiill the coffers
no one losses except the person who has paid in for years and yes the pay will equal the investment, bu if they'd put their dosh into other areas the return could have been far greater
those at fault should be held accountable

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I think it was Western Isles Council who were one of the first that I heard of to get their fingers burnt with the collapse of Bearings Bank and that was a good few years ago now. Your man Nick Leeson or whatever his name was carried the can for that one and as far as I know did so on his own, maybe if they were a bit more ruthless and honest with their findings at that time we wouldn't be in this mess, and whilst I can sympathize with NHS staff and other front line service providers local councils have played their part in messing this up and are too used to coming back to the well that is the tax payer and saying please sir can wee have some more. I think that is why most tax payers working in the private sector would struggle to support a strike, they have lived with financial constraints and strict control for years and has never had a well to come back to.

Just an opinion, not a rant and welcome to rip it to bits.:)

how many scaffs are in a union,unless on the engineering side very few.how many have joined the sccr another movement set up for 1 voice in unity,same again very few.
maybe if more were in a union the union could fight for a better deal,as on the blue book sites

the tenner required for the sccr membership is a snip-it but i feel it is an opportunity that may be missed by the shear apathy of the scaffolders.
basically dont be moaning about other workers who have a united voice and fought for a better deal,and have the balls to strike to defend that deal.

AOM you pretty much said exactly how I, and many others feel.

It's a tough deal, it's not nice but I'm sick of the public sectors endless moaning, complaining their pay increase wasn't enough when at the worst of it we were grateful to still have a job, a pay increase was far from our thoughts.

Top Bottom