Help!

"Give me a break"

Reaction score
Can anybody help answer this question?
I understand that a trainee scaffolder is not aloud to work alone or as a leading hand in a scaffold gang. But is he/she (better try to be PC) aloud to carry out any scaffold adaptions on their own when they are in a safe working enviroment i.e. boarded and hand railed lift and their work is inspected by a quilified scaffolder upon completion? When I say on their own I don't mean on the site on their own but just working in another area.

Hi
Can anybody help me answer this question.
I understand that a trainee scaffolder can't work alone or as a leading hand in a scaffold gang but can he carry out adaptions to a scaffold in a safe working enviroment i.e. boarded and hand railed lift with a qualified scaffolder on site but not by his side and the scaffold adaption to be inspected by a qualified scaffolder upon completion?

Not sure if there allowed of the ground till they have done a part one
Sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong

Hello mate.
Welcome to the forum.

I heard somewhere that no matter who or what job you do, NO ONE should be working alone, at any time at your place of work due to Health and Safety.

I believe that legally (dont quote me, im not a lawyer, lol), your not allowed to change or adapt a Scaffold unless you have a minimum of a Basic Part 2 Scaffolding card.

A Part 1, is considered as a 'trainee' as far as i know.
Adapting a Scaffold, can be tricky... and a wrong tube cut/moved could cause the Scaffold to become unstable.

Ofcourse, this all comes down to how long you have been doing the job, how competent you are and how 'relaxed' your employer is, with regards to Health and Safety.

My 2 pence...

I'd say it is best practice to have a trainee supervised at all times Not least when he is doing adaptions or alterations this is when the untrained can cause the most damage :cry:

Thanks for your reply's.
I thought that was the case but I was just clutching at straws to avoid laying off good men.

alright lads. tust after finding the forum. trying to get work somewhere land or offshore. any tips for me

Yeah your not classed as a trainee scaffolder unless you've done your part 1 and I think to make alterations (or anything else) one should be under supervision. Like one of the other lads said also depends on how experienced he is and how much faith the other lads have in him directly affecting just how closely they're watched.

on safety/access site part1 working under supervision can work on some scaffs:

http://www.safetyaccess.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/CISRS-Part-1-TF-May20101.pdf

but to achieve this they must have had 6 months experience as a trainee, working under direct supervision, as you said within a safe work zone

thats my understanding

Your supposed to have 6 months experience working as a labourer before you do your part 1, its only you have completed your part 1 training you are the classed as trainee, Being a labourer is not the same as being a trainee.

Always thought it to be under direct tutoring, learning from the leading hand, most dont worry bout it, until you have an accident, then the sh**e hits the fan, always thought it to be an advance scaff you were shadowing and not a part 2.

no, unless the scaff is watching you , you could undo a dropper or cantilever etc and somebody could get hurt.

Welcome to the forum give me a break, the boy's are right in what they say but not all part 1 guy's can't be trusted. A newly trained part 1 fair enough, but I would have no problem sending most to do basic alteration's then check their work later. You have to be confident in who you are sending and what you are sending them to do.

Top Bottom