Ladder beams steal

andyf8686

Reaction score
Can anyone define the technical use for steal ladder beam :eek:
I had a job erected on a boat landing for 7 months and after dismantling it they are now full of hole due to corrosion the beam had never been use before this job and were ordered in from the supplier for this job. I now have to write a report and raise a hypo #1 as the beams have failed in such a short time.
Any help on the technical statement side in regards to the use etc would be a good help:embarrest:

Can anyone define the technical use for steal ladder beam :eek:

I dont know the technical specifics (this site might offer more details: Changzhou Yueyang Machinery Co., Ltd.)

I do know they are heavy, horrible and awkward fukkers to use... I HATE Ladder beams, lol.

Someone told me once - which i think could be true, that Alloy 'haki' beams are just as strong as ladder beams.
Only good thing about ladder beams, is that they can be cut to size without much drama... if you cut an alloy beam, its pretty much useless after and your boss will go iff his nut, due to the £400 a pop price of the alloy beam.

I think the technical term is " Fu cked"
Lmao. :nuts:

That rumour that alli beams are 400 a pop aint true

8m beam new maximum 150.00

ANOTHER FINE EXAMPLE OF THE CHEAP **** MATERIALS COMING OUT OF INDIA AND CHINA.YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET.
BRITISH JOBS FOR BRITISH WORKERS
QUALITY COUNTS:mad:

Unit beams

I can not find anywhere the information about the maximum length that unit beams can be spliced.i mean 3 meters unit beams with bolts.as far as i know,their total length must not exeed 9 meters.is that correct or could be more?

andy

your beams were probably not hot galvanised, hence the corrosion, i am guessing that the reference to a boat landing means they were subject to wetting and drying which speeds up corrosion, especially if its in sea water. Interestingly I have heard reports of a reactions between the fittings and alloy beams in sea water so i dont recommend this either.

from a technical point of view who did you buy them through?, they should have a specification sheet, although most are simply painted on the outside with no protection inside at all, most dont have drain holes either which makes the situation worse.

I would like to see some photos of them, and the data sheet from the supplier. It is interesting TG20 refers to the reduced capacity of non galvanised tube but makes no referance( as far as i can tell) to the reduced capacity of non galvanised beams.

good luck with the report!

My name is samir

i have some questions regarding the 3 meters unit beams with bolts and i do not know where i can get more information about some details such as:
What is the maximum length that unit beams must not exceed to (as far as i know they must be spliced to the maximum 9 meters)

Steve I will hopefully put the pics on here today if I can get a permit. The beams in Q came from SGB / Harsco with certs ???? They are painted in a red / orange colour with pins in one end and open on the other.
The beams are off a caterlevear on the under deck from the boat landing holding up 6 lifts before it turns into a hanger 58 metre long by 12 metres wide then back down the STR legs on the other side (hanger as no boat landing this side)
The problem was the sea water filling the inside of the beams at high seas then draining out a lower level, also the humidity has been so high about 80% on a morning.
These beam are only 7 months old and only good for scrap!!!!!!

sounds like painted class 4 tube, I dont think Harsco/SGB manufacture these anymore they just buy them in. so certs will be fine when new but rapidly deteriorate in challenging environments.
If you mail me (address sent by private message) I know some of the guys in what was SGB group engineering, they will be interested by this. I hate to think what could happen if they were in place much longer.

The problem was the sea water filling the inside of the beams at high seas then draining out a lower level, also the humidity has been so high about 80% on a morning.

When i was a kid on TRAD Scaffolding, our yard was shared with TRAD Hire & Sales in Silvertown, East London.

They used to bring in packs of long by the hundreds, all from abroad - possibly India and the tubes all had a strange kind of powdery stuff on them.

I was told back then, it was due to the tube being on cargo ships for months at a time and the sea water/sea air would actually start to corrode the galvanise.

Maybe thats what happened with these beams?
Were they treated to spend long periods of time, in and out of sea water?
Just an idea. :idea:

you need a drawing Samir
let the engineer worry about that,

ps i have built 10 beams long but it was designed, (pre tg20) with clusters of 10 to 14 wide so it can be done

yes we have used 8 mtr unit beams offshore, no bother but when we did use ladder beams they had drain holes and that is going back to 1976

Well sent the pics to those that needed it and now they are saying why was it not picked up on the inspection over the months.
Told them that 80% of the day it's about 8inch above the water but there not having that one so the witch hunt is no now.
Is it just best to say nothing if you find something after you dismantle it ?
Anyone no of any supervisor jobs ?

Top Bottom