work life balance (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I've started my own company and been running for a year now. What I would be interested in is to hear from people who have done just that and please let me know how you juggled work and normal life because I seem to be working from 7 am to 11pm every day. There isn't enough hrs in the day what with the amount of work. what is the cut off point I should be working too or am i going to be doing the epic hours for a long time yet????

18 years on mate still the same for me now , one divorce later

Good luck mate

The long hours go with the territory if you want to build a decent company.

Dont forget to delegate as much as possible

Do not forget that you are your own gaffer and as such if you are working too hard, or for too long , you have only yourself to blame :laugh:

So take time out to chill a bit,all work and no play makes for a sh*t life

There are no pockets in shrouds

Money is made flat for stacking a daft t#at once said to me and his lass F*cked of with the lot LOL
Bonga scaff that was

I've started my own company and been running for a year now. What I would be interested in is to hear from people who have done just that and please let me know how you juggled work and normal life because I seem to be working from 7 am to 11pm every day. There isn't enough hrs in the day what with the amount of work. what is the cut off point I should be working too or am i going to be doing the epic hours for a long time yet????

your choice mate, you make your bed you lie in it,
as much or as little time as YOU want.

ps take up golf, you will always find time to play and that releases some of the sh1t and daily toil;)

Employ somebody you trust,to lighten the load,no good being the richest man in the graveyard;)

you should create yourself a day planner an stick to it as much as possible, if you google things like " using your time more effectively " for example you will find many topics by successful business men who were once like most of us working more than shirking, they now struggle to find time to go to work lol

its all about working out how much time a day u spend doing tasks an stuff and how many times a day you do similar tasks , then putting all the different tasks into groups and allocate a set time of day to do them and a set amount of time to do them and once time is up its up no carrying on with it just stop.

obviously it bit more in depth than that , but its friday evening an im in wkend mode chillaxing

18 years on mate still the same for me now , one divorce later

Good luck mate

like wise scaffy, good luck to you bud, if you can make it work at the mo then you should do very well for yourself:)

been working 7 days a week for a bit now and do some long hrs, i have had a good life out of scaffolding and my family have to, but the one thick i would of change if i could of done was spending more time with my kids when they was growing up you can never turn the clock back, i am lucky two of my kids work for me now my boy out on the tools and my girl in the office, but like i say it do not make up for when they was younger i am also luck to have a good wife to, i sometimes think i would be happyer just me and my lad out doing a couple of tress houses a day girl in office, and say **** all the big job all the **** what comes with it you are a long time dead mate take it easy.

The transition for you will be earning enough revenue to hire support staff. Until that point, however, the long hours will persist. I would take a close look at my finances to see how and when you can make it a reality.

coming from glasgow i know how much you have grown in the last 5 years or so jandr,but as your thread has indicated it isnt all a bed of roses.
i have sympathy for your situation,i have as do most scaffs on the tools have the same problems having to work every hour thats available to make ends meet.
i personally travel and work offshore chasing the big buck jobs and not being able to see my wife and kids apart from the long weekend that is only really 1 day due to driving the length of the country to get home.
but thats just the way it is and the choice ive made,best of luck to all the scaffs,and bosses its never easy

Anyone starting a new business has to expect the long work hours - you have to work if the work's there and you can't be turning down work, you never know what's around the corner.

Look at it as a positive though... providing you're making a good income from all those hours you're putting in.

It's always a leap to that next level, of taking on extra staff to ease the load. You've got to be able to trust them otherwise it's an even bigger headache.

In your profession though, at least you can take on guys when you need them rather than employing permanently.

Lots of good advice here from the other guys and they are always supportive, having been there, done that.

Good luck!

Top Bottom