Police call for public to shop drink-drivers

TEESSIDE SCAFFOLDER

Reaction score
Police call for public to shop drink-drivers

Friday, August 05, 2011 Grimsby Telegraph

.TIP-OFFS from the public are vital to stopping drink- drivers.

That was the appeal from Humberside Police after two drivers were convicted following calls from members of the public.

​HELPING HAND: Police say the public can help them catch drink-drivers by tipping them off.

.A police spokesman said: "Police are always keen to speak to the public with a view to identifying habitual drink-drivers.

"These drivers flout the law, putting themselves and other road users at serious risk. Information from the public is vital."

The renewed call came after scaffolder Paul Britteon was found asleep in his car by police just minutes after it had ploughed into a parked car in Cleethorpes.

Britteon, 44, of Litchfield Road, Grimsby, admitted drink-driving on July 25 before crashing into a parked car on St Peter's Avenue.

At Grimsby Magistrates' Court, the Toyota Avensis driver received a two-year ban from driving and was ordered to do 80 hours' unpaid work. Costs of £85 were ordered.

Debbie Sanders, prosecuting, said witnesses contacted police around 1am after seeing the Avensis collide with a parked car on St Peter's Avenue.

She said when police arrived at 1.37am they found the driver asleep at the wheel. He was later found to have 99mcg of alcohol in 100ml of breath, the legal limit is 35 mcg.
In a police interview he said he had been drinking in the Spider's Web and later at Gypsy Tears in Cleethorpes where he admitted consuming five or six bottles of beer.

Representing himself, Britteon said: "I am disgusted with myself. I still don't know why I did it.

"I have no recollection of getting into the car. I have let a lot of people down. I may lose my job."

He apologised to magistrates.

Also appearing in court for drink-driving was HGV driver and haulage firm owner John Chilvers.

The 33-year-old of Carr Road, Ulceby was caught after an anonymous call to Humberside Police when he left The County Hotel in Immingham.

He admitted drink-driving on July 27.

Police trailed his ford Transit van along Manby Road, Immingham at 9pm after he left the bar.

He told police when arrested: "I hold my hands up."

He was later found with 70mcg of alcohol in 100ml of breath. For Chilvers, Nigel Sloane said a driving ban will hurt his clients and his family and his three employees.

He said Chilvers had suffered horrific injuries in an industrial accident as a fitter at Hargreaves coal distribution firm, in Immingham. He started the haulage firm up three years ago.

Magistrates imposed a 16- month driving ban, which could be reduced by a quarter if he passes a drink-driver rehabilitation course.

Chilvers was fined £65 and ordered to pay £85 costs and a surcharge of £15.

Top Bottom