Slinging tube.

Tony Mason

Reaction score
Hi chaps, any one know the correct way to sling tube in a stilage. Ive seen banksmen do it but the chains dont bite the tube. Im not a slinger banksman but am sure there's a safer way to do it.

Tie tube to stillage, then sling under stillage, if its a stillage of 5's, 8's, it would be ok to just sling the stillage as the tube are short enough not to go unbalanced during the lift ( unless they were being lifted really high up )

Just double wrap the chains or slings and it will bite.

You shouldn't sling tube whilst in the stillage. The correct way is to double wrap the tube both ends and when it taken up slowly and has bitten and formed tie some lashing both ends so they don't split and go everywhere when landed. Ideally you should crane up some stillages before to land it in.

We always put some timber or boards in a bundle of tube so it bites , but it is done to the banksman they should know there stuff.

If your not qualified for the job you shouldnt be doing it firstly but as stated double wrap the tube and chains bite. Hooks facing outwards.

I would be very cautious about lifting stillages of tube, there was almost a catastrophic accident a couple of years ago where a crane slewed around and a whole stillage of 21's slide out and went through the side of a passing bus, luckilly the bus was empty but I shudder to think what could have been, this was on a site right next to the one were were working on.

Double wrap chains on all tube, hooks facing out

If you do not contain scaffold within stillage, you are lifting an insecure load

Double wrap chains on all tube, hooks facing out

If you do not contain scaffold within stillage, you are lifting an insecure load

This is the exact reason the accident happened in my original post, tubes were in a stillage and not wrapped by the chains.

Top Bottom