CISRS info

Beaver

Reaction score
cisrs instructor qualificatons

posted this a couple of weeks ago about a guy who did a part 1 course and just done a part 2 in system scaffold and has allowd to become a cisrs instructr in aberdeen. i dont no about yous but i dont want to be traned by somebody who has never worked on the tools and has just been a scaffold salseman who did a cuple of scaffold courses. if we dont protest about this kinda thing then we deserv the industry we have made for ourselfs. another thred asked abpout a scaffolders union...if we had this then we could make sure that scaffolders are only trained by advanced scaffolders who have been on the tools. whats ur thouhts lads???

Hello Beaver,

I remember that thread (not sure why you're starting a new one - you could have continued there?)

Anyway, the SCCR seem to be the best bet, seeking to regulate standards, improve on training and work with the scaffolders.

Ragscaff is chairman and would be the best perosn to speak to about these concerns - or indeed, perhaps write to CISRS and ask how this can be happening?

You have a very valid point. AFAIK, to be able to teach effectively, one really needs some hands on experience, 5 years minimum in whichever industry you wish to teach in.

Thanks lads what is AFAIK ? and if you need 5 years hands on then why are we no doing somthin about this?? people keep sayin that it is the way it is but if we keep saying that then we cant fix it.

Personally I can't really see how 5 years on the spanners makes you better equipped to teach young boy's to erect basic jobs in a nice warm environment. You know the old saying "Those that can, do, and those that can't, teach.

The training centre that has taken him on must be giving him training, on delivering the training to the trainee, that’s the only way I could see any CISRS training centre starting anyone with no experience in the trade.

To teach someone, surely you have to be an advanced scaffolder, how can a part 2 take anyone to advanced when they are not themselves it is a joke. We do need to ask the question! What training centre is it?

I fully agree with you all regarding experience there is no substitute for hand on & there should be a level entry, minimum advance with 10 years under your belt for anyone to start as an instructor, but like I said if he receives training & is competent that the end of it.

It’s the same when we get a new manager who has never been on the spanners just come up the ranks because his dad was a manager we all know the type!!!

AFAIK = as far as I know

I wasn't being industry specific when I said 5 years, by the way. I think to teach anyone, in any industry there should be a minimum experience on the job. How can you possibly have come across the every day problems that will arise without some hands on experience? Theory is all well and good, but I am sure you guys know that being out there doing it is a whole other thing.

Hi,

Just read in the CISRS CAP609 book that advanced scaffolders will only be able to inspect scaffolds if they attend an inspection refresher course which is to be introduced in 2012.

I quote - "Scaffold Inspection Refresher training will be introduced byCISRS in 2012, both CISRS Scaffolder and Advanced card holders will be required to attend the refresher, prior to renewing their CISRS cards if they wish to remain eligible to inspect scaffolds in the future."

Maybe someone can shed some light on this, Simian perhaps.
Sounds to me like yet another money making scheme.

Hi,

Just read in the CISRS CAP609 book that advanced scaffolders will only be able to inspect scaffolds if they attend an inspection refresher course which is to be introduced in 2012.

I quote - "Scaffold Inspection Refresher training will be introduced byCISRS in 2012, both CISRS Scaffolder and Advanced card holders will be required to attend the refresher, prior to renewing their CISRS cards if they wish to remain eligible to inspect scaffolds in the future."

Maybe someone can shed some light on this, Simian perhaps.
Sounds to me like yet another money making scheme.

I have read this and its a refresher for operatives who inspect scaffolds, not all advanced and scaffolders do. the paragraph above states

CISRS and NASC deem CISRS Scaffolders and Advanced Scaffolders competent
to inspect scaffold structures based upon the grade of card they hold. i.e. A CISRS
Scaffolder can inspect Basic Structures Independents, towers birdcages etc (this
list is not exhaustive) and an CISRS Advanced Scaffolder can inspect both Basic
and more complex structures Hanging Scaffolds, temporary roofs, complex design
work (this list is not exhaustive).

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

i would not say it is a money making scheme as inspectors will undertake a one day refresher on the changes in the industry. Things are changing monthly in the industry so it is an update.

When I got my Advanced Inspection card, I was told it only lasts for 2 years then when you do a refresher your new card will then last for 5 years,

When I got my Advanced Inspection card, I was told it only lasts for 2 years then when you do a refresher your new card will then last for 5 years,

thats correct and thats the crack, mine is new and lasts for five years.

Does it need to be a cisrs inspection course you undertake to make you competent or would in house training suffice :D

Does it need to be a cisrs inspection course you undertake to make you competent or would in house training suffice :D

Employers deem competence however some clients like a nice card to look at as it appears someone has taken a course to a recognised standard. Cape do inhouse scaffold inspection over 3 days and its a really good course but Carillion would not accept it if they had a cape inspector.

Employers deem competence however some clients like a nice card to look at as it appears someone has taken a course to a recognised standard. Cape do inhouse scaffold inspection over 3 days and its a really good course but Carillion would not accept it if they had a cape inspector.

Surely Mr Clark would be ok with an in-house carded inspector....

Top Bottom