Extra cost of tin hat (2 Viewers)

Solar

Reaction score
Hi. Included in a contractor's quotation for work incl. ridge and tile removal and some underlayment removal on my bungalow in the South East was "allowance for scaffolding to 3 sides with a tin roof & monoflex sheeting". This was important to me in awarding the contract. The scaffolder only erected to gutter level with no top hat. When questioned, the boss said the contractor reckoned he could get away with sheeting if it rained. He said the cost as erected would be £400-£500 but to add a tin roof and monoflex would add £1000 which surprised me. The 3 walls measure 4.0m x 4.7m (gable end) x 4.0m, eves height 2.8m. The contractor is seeking the balance payment with no mention of the lack of tin roof. Could anyone please confirm if these costs are about right before I consider if I am justified in deducting £1000 from the balance payment? Many thanks.

Really amazed at how naive people are in this industry.

Even for small domestic works such as this, £1,000 seems a reasonable reduction for 19m2 of roof and the (lack of) associated support scaffold and side sheeting.

its seems very cheap for a temporary roof to me ,

but if you aint had it you shouldnt be paying for it

Thanks. It's a shame the contractor feels it ok to take extra unearned profit!

Top Bottom