rescue plan minimum (1 Viewer)

grafter

Reaction score
what is the minimum requirement for a rescue plan if someone fell and was hanging in harness is the emergancy services ok on its own or would you have to have gotcha kit aswell and be trained to use it

pull on to boards thats the minimum we use. then the rescue plan you have in place with your rams

im currently inducting 400 men with a supension trauma / intolerance , self rescue is the key when u can , or getting in to a sitting positon , with straps or improvisation , as have spanner said , spinal injuries are a big issue , when the average mans height the line and the shock absorber together comes in to work , u r looking around 4 m 70 fall , and that in itself is enough to cause spinal injury , u re body weight comes six times more , average of 6kn when u come under , a lot of pressure on the arteries , rescue plan in place and with emergency services on site ,
its more likely that your mates will help u our site is 15 km by 11 km so time flies when ure hanging about , theres lots of info on the web many conflicting accounts , but the facts are there , we have all trades inducted in orthostatic intolerence and have our own rescue team .

The hse website has some good info on this but one thing stands out & that is you are not allowed to solely rely on the emergancy services for a resucue - any where that needs a harness needs a resue plan.yes the easiest methods & most frequent is self rescue. Then followed by a mechanical such as forklift or mwep & final trained rescue such as a gotcha kit or similar rope access resue equipment -all off which can be expensive to buy & train on....hse state that due to suspenstion trauma the rescue must be completed within 7 mins - THE HARNESS SUSPENTION STRAPS ARE AN AID NOT A RESCUE which will releave any posible symptons of trauma whilst awaiting or undergoing resue, but are of no use if the person is injured or unconscious - i think the easiest & cheepest method & what we have adopted is to use a inertia reel with handle,you simply wind them back up or down. Training is minimal & the equipment is cheep & easy to use especially if you have a turnover off staff....hope this info helps

- i think the easiest & cheepest method & what we have adopted is to use a inertia reel with handle,you simply wind them back up or down. Training is minimal & the equipment is cheep & easy to use especially if you have a turnover off staff....hope this info helps[/QUOTE]

i am looking to getting 2 inertia reels any recommendation????

We use miller but theres loads available i think ridgegear do some good ones-try leeches for product knowleldge then google "rescue blockds"to get it cheeper is the best advice i could give you i'm afraid

Last edited:
The first response should be trauma straps and a first response rope. Leave the actual rescue to the experts. If the fallen man has a spinal injury dragging him onto the scaffold may cause more damage.

i agree to a certain degree haverspanner response rope yes weve had the trainning. but to leave the poor sod hanging untill rescue turns up he could be dead the easiest way would be to be pull on to boards as 400 says i know certain companys dont board every lift but certain do as aom does. as for rescue exsperts how far do they have to come from also depens what sight your on my job will not just let the emergencey services on due to the high electricity level and they are not allowed access untill cleared by the relevent people they dont have the power as most jobs were they can just come on sight. lets be honnest how many scaffolders carry trauma straps and boards and are trainned whats a harness safety time now 20mins before your blood stops pumping. your lucky these days if theve got there tape and a wood saw:laugh:

ZT

im going to try this out

I looked @ ths whennit 1st came on here....@1st glance it seems cool but withbonly front anchor woldnt be suitable in our trade it would allways be in the way, even if u were to ake a fall with this once you'd smached ur face to bits as a unconcious victim your still gonna need to be rescued lol....think i'll stick wiv the miller producs

ZT

im going to try this out

Let us know what it's like Tim.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

I looked @ ths whennit 1st came on here....@1st glance it seems cool but withbonly front anchor woldnt be suitable in our trade it would allways be in the way, even if u were to ake a fall with this once you'd smached ur face to bits as a unconcious victim your still gonna need to be rescued lol....think i'll stick wiv the miller producs

Maybe we should ask them to make them with a rear anchor point, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Yeh fair enough swifty...but tbh at their cost, its still more than the top of the range miller setup which is a tried & tested fit for purpose item used for years by scaffs - dont get me wrong i think the idea is g8 but @ the mo its not really aimed @ our market - but u never know one of big boys or nasc might get it on board

it does come with rear anchor point ........... they make them to order and the lady measured me up yesterday ......and is going to post it ...

130 including vat for the harness and overalls ..i have my own lanyard

I'd buy one if I needed a new harness. What happens if the overalls rip, does it fail it's inspection?

Is the harness built into the overalls then tim- whats the shelf life of the harness & do u av to send it back to them for sevice & inspection...

Let us know how u get on with it

Last edited:
Top Bottom