Layher time-lapse bridge section

RedViking

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UAjiht2EWw&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]YouTube - ‪Layher AB - Pedestrian bridge Holmenkollen English‬‏[/ame]

Wheres The Advanced Guardrails,Harness,Scaff-Step And All The Other Crap We Have To Put Up With?

4 men x 3 hours:nuts::laugh::nuts:

I counted at least EIGHT, and it was after dark when they finished!:embarrest:

I first looked at layher approx 8 year ago , I said then it was a very good system only problem then was I think it was to soon , bit ahead of its time for the north east , had more trouble with site managers and the like who just didnt understand how it all worked didnt want it on their jobs and after approx 18 months we sent kit back to layher and terminated the contract with them .
tube and clip , kwikstage or cuplock was fine but they just didnt get layher at the time and i had better things to do than spend all my time trying to convince clients how good it was , shame really prob would have had a good lump of kit by now in the yard .

Layher is a top notch system but some of the claims are over the top and you have to ask were is all the safety pish we have to put up with .

Layher is an over priced version of cuplock simple as that

Layher is an over priced version of cuplock simple as that

make you right scaffy how did we ever manage before it ohh and a crane what was that:bigsmile:

layher is the best system out there.

Sorry skin me old mucker...Got to disagree, worked with Layher for 2 years and although technically (Like most things German) it is engineered very well there are a number of problems I found that you simply wouldnt get with other systems.

1) It doesnt transport well at all, you do not get full utilisation of vehicle tonnage, I daresay you would get double the load using cuplok.

2) There are just TOO many components!!:confused:

3) Its VERY expensive to not only buy but also to maintain.

4) The customer does not like the gap between the decking and the inside bracket, I know the ledger is below and it does conform, the amount of times I've been asked to fill this gap with ply etc by the customer is numerous..

5) Its not very conducive to T&F for when you hit the tricky bits!!

Thats just my two penneth...I know Im bias as I was an SGB boy and Cuplok is king, but you dont get any of the above with that particular system :D

pw this is what the forums for ....debate....i still think that layher with all its components is class.just got in from stripping take thats stage in sunderland...it was constructed from layher and it opened my eyes.the designer must of worked for n.a.s.a.....looked bang on but a piece of ppiss to strip.

Got to agree to Layher "One Offs" being pretty good i.e. I think their stair system is one of the best but with the flights being alloy very nickable!! :wacko:

The Kieder Roofing is pretty good too.

However when I was tasked to using it for everyday scaffolds I found it poor in comparison to other systems out there.

Hi RW,

Would disagree with your points on Layher-

parts are lighter than cuplok

Transport is all about stacking and logistics you dont want to be hand balling

Like all systems they got 9 basic components unlike others they got big range of parts if you need them(you dont have to have all parts)

Like all systems you need to handle right and respect the kit,you get little damage and certainly no losses like you would get with tube and clips.Layher provide spare parts if needed.

Layher brought out gap deck about 2 years ago to fill gap between platform and hop up.

Fully compatitable with tube and couplers all parts 48.3 od,they even do fittings that keep tubes in line with handrails so you can come off with tube if you so wish.

your point on price yes its not cheap but its also about quality and service,i know what i would want!!

The good thing with Layher is they are moving with the times and are developing the product all the time.They listen to there customers and know the market.

Hi System

each to their own...but a few facts about Layher that I came across whilst working with it...

Transport is all about stacking and logistics you dont want to be hand balling.

In regards to Standards, you can only feasibly get 28 No in a banded bundle as opposed to 50 No using Cuplok or even Yellow Peril due to the Rosettes.

In regards to Decks, same scenario with only being able to stack 30 No as opposed to 50 No Traditional Boards.

In summary you will never be using the full capabilty of your vehicle, despite the claim Layher is lighter, this soon adds up in Transport Costs.

Like all systems they got 9 basic components unlike others they got big range of parts if you need them(you dont have to have all parts)

IMHO Layher still has too many components, I just want to keep it simple as at the end of the day its less to lose, damage or be stolen, you hit anything tricky using Layher and its like opening a surgeons bag with hundreds of mysterious instruments!!

Like all systems you need to handle right and respect the kit,you get little damage and certainly no losses like you would get with tube and clips.Layher provide spare parts if needed

With respect, real world calling...Every company gets damages regardless, wether it be from the Lads or run over on site by the dopey Forklift Driver or knocked about a bit on the wagon...To repair you may as well scrap and buy new as the cost differential is not that great...A deliberate ploy me thinks.
In regard to losing a lot more T&F well that may be true but the replacement cost is not going to be anywhere near replacing Layher, same applys with Cuplok.

Layher brought out gap deck about 2 years ago to fill gap between platform and hop up.

Better late than never...this has been a problem with the system since its entry into the country about 30 years ago and in that time think of all the additional time and cost lost due to having to ply over etc.

Fully compatitable with tube and couplers all parts 48.3 od,they even do fittings that keep tubes in line with handrails so you can come off with tube if you so wish.

Using Cuplok you can come off any component with exception of top hat transoms using T&F, That can't be done with Layher.

In summary, as before each to there own, but Layher is not the be all and end all of system it likes to think it is, I used it for near enough 2 years on contracts ranging from £250 Upto £500k and never liked it, too much messing about. :D

Last edited:
Well said that man !! I too like cuplock over all the systems

Hi RW,

Your answers are dated !!!

for example Layher decks are stacked in 60s,every other deck is turned so they sit inside each other saving space.

Perhaps you were let down when trainned in product

Times have moved on

Each to there own.

Top Bottom