Ppe

harvey

Reaction score
iS IT LEGALLY BINDING THAT THE COMPANY YOU WORK FOR MUST SUPPLY YOUR PPE ?
IS IT ALSO LEGALLY BINDING THAT IF YOU ARE WORKING PAYE , THE COMPANY MUST PAY EXPENSES ?

IF SO , THEN PEOPLE MUST STAY BACK FROM ISL FROM THE NORTH EAST OF ENGLAND.

Paying your expenses should be discussed when you agree to work. If that's what they said, then that's what they should be doing.

However, as PAYE incurring your own expenses to get the job done .i.e. travel, PPE, clothing, tools etc etc - you can make a tax claim against the tax you have paid, and more than likely get a nice tax refund!

If you need any advice on that, feel free to call us.

cheers for reply,

It was my understanding that PPE is a legal requirement under Health ans Safety regulations.

Personal protective equipment (PPE) means all equipment (including clothing giving protection against the weather) which is worn or held to protect against risks to health or safety. The main legislation governing PPE at work is the Personal Protective Equipment Regulations 1992. PPE includes the following, when worn for health and safety protection:-

(a)protective clothing (e.g., aprons, gloves, footwear, helmets, high visibility waistcoats)

(b)protective equipment (e.g., eye protectors, respirators, safety harnesses).

Some specific legislation contains details of PPE requirements that must be considered when undertaken an assessment of your needs (e.g., Noise at Work Regulations 1989, Control of Asbestos at Work Regs 1987, COSHH 2002).

LEGAL REQUIREMENTS

1.Provision of PPE: Employers must ensure that suitable PPE is provided to employees exposed to a risk to their health or safety except where the risk has been adequately controlled by other equally, or more effective means. ‘Suitability’ is by reference to:

being appropriate to the risks and workplace conditions.
the ergonomics and state of health of the person
being capable of fitting the wearer correctly
being effective in preventing or adequately controlling the risk without increasing an overall risk.
complying with any other provision implementing any PPE EC Directive.
PPE should be seen as a last resort in the hierarchy of control measures; it should be made readily available (in most cases on a personal basis); no charge can be levied; ergonomic factors should be considered i.e., match the PPE to the person; quality must be ensured i.e., to be certified (‘CE’ marked) as meeting basic safety requirements.

2.Compatibility of PPE: This is required where more than one piece of PPE is worn.

3.Assessment is needed to ensure the suitability of the PPE to be provided. This should include assessment of the risks, the PPE risk protection characteristics and a comparison of PPE available. It should follow on from, but not duplicate, risk assessments carried out under the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999.

4.Maintenance and Replacement: PPE should be maintained (including replaced or cleaned as appropriate) in an efficient state, in efficient working order and in good repair. Responsibilities, procedures (including frequencies) should be established and appropriate records kept.

5.Accommodation: Suitable accommodation must be provided for the safe storage of PPE. Contaminated or defective PPE should also be segregated.

6.Information, instruction and training needs to be provided in a systematic way; it should cover users, managers/supervisors and repair/maintenance/test personnel. Records should be kept. Training to be both theoretical and practical, induction and refresher as necessary.

7.Use of PPE: There are duties on employers, self-employed persons and employees to ensure the proper use of PPE.

8.Reporting of loss/defect - to the employer.

Just for addition if its required that you should wear dust masks , face fitting is also required

Harvey, harvey, harvey harvey,harvey,harvey harve,harve,harve,harve,harve
harv,harv,harv,harv
har,har,har
ha,ha
insignificant piece of ****,
i will reply in full tomorow

i would imagine a company like isl would supply all required ppe dont think it would be in their best intrest not to,that said i cant comment on individule cases just surprises me isl would overlook one guys ppe in todays working enviroment,best of luck mate cheers for the heads up.

Last edited:
Harvey, lets get some facts right. First of all, yes you are completely right it is the employers responsibilty to supply the correct PPE. I thought you should have been well aware of this, as your cv states that you have been a site foreman for the past couple of years. Secondly when you asked for start, i said that you could start thursday night, after my visit on the wednesday with your PPE, i said you could start on the monday, if you could get hold of the correct PPE, at no point did i say i will not supply PPE and go and buy you own,the two lads who you must have been talking with bought their own thats because the are from an agency(get the number off them for the agency, you will probably need it). If this was the case i would not have been running round on a saturday morning,looking to get my 18 TVP lads the correct PPE for the saturday night shift,which i got at an inflated cost of almost £1000. I also spent £32k on PPE last year, if you include scaff steps and double harness lanyards. At no point did you tell the forum that last thursday and friday that you were on a PTS course, paid for by ISL at a cost of £340,which you FAILED, and you also didnt mention that i was going to book you on another PTS course at ISl's cost (i will take from this post that you do not want me to book the second PTS course). After our conversation on thursday. I also told you that as a gesture of good will that the client had stopped all TVP's, that i would not deduct the price of the course from your two shifts,as my legally binding right i will now deduct the price of the course from your wages. As celtic boy said in his post ISL works with some of the biggest construction companies in the country Balfour Beatty, Laing o Rouke, Wilmott Dixon, Kiers, Spencers, May Gurney, to name but a few, so do you think for one minute that ISL would expect my lads to pay for there own PPE, THINK AGAIN BONNY LAD.

Harvey, lets get some facts right. First of all, yes you are completely right it is the employers responsibilty to supply the correct PPE. I thought you should have been well aware of this, as your cv states that you have been a site foreman for the past couple of years. Secondly when you asked for start, i said that you could start thursday night, after my visit on the wednesday with your PPE, i said you could start on the monday, if you could get hold of the correct PPE, at no point did i say i will not supply PPE and go and buy you own,the two lads who you must have been talking with bought their own thats because the are from an agency(get the number off them for the agency, you will probably need it). If this was the case i would not have been running round on a saturday morning,looking to get my 18 TVP lads the correct PPE for the saturday night shift,which i got at an inflated cost of almost £1000. I also spent £32k on PPE last year, if you include scaff steps and double harness lanyards. At no point did you tell the forum that last thursday and friday that you were on a PTS course, paid for by ISL at a cost of £340,which you FAILED, and you also didnt mention that i was going to book you on another PTS course at ISl's cost (i will take from this post that you do not want me to book the second PTS course). After our conversation on thursday. I also told you that as a gesture of good will that the client had stopped all TVP's, that i would not deduct the price of the course from your two shifts,as my legally binding right i will now deduct the price of the course from your wages. As celtic boy said in his post ISL works with some of the biggest construction companies in the country Balfour Beatty, Laing o Rouke, Wilmott Dixon, Kiers, Spencers, May Gurney, to name but a few, so do you think for one minute that ISL would expect my lads to pay for there own PPE, THINK AGAIN BONNY LAD.

Superb! :amuse:

Spot on reply just sounds like another badmouth

Good thread ISL everyone should be aware of the (PPE) but you will allways have the exception to the rule who will try it on and expect you to provide your own ,sounds if you are genuine in your reply to Harvey ,i no a father and son from the boro called Harvey if same people say no more,I thought ISL had gone long ago worked for them 30yrs ago when **** Corden ran it ,had no problem with them .

teeside scaff why you commenting when you havent a clue ???? or are you just being a c..k sucker with a gaffer ???
I stand by my statement , go on to one of there work sites and see how many diffrent company names on the over-alls.
Darren I have already spoke to my Union and if my wages are touched they will start proceedings against your company for theft , unless you can show them in writing I have signed for it ? FACT

I am not on here slagging a company off , I think this is a great web site for employees and employers to use and its been long overdue, but I will not allow me to be labelled a liar when all I asked was if it was legal or not to be supplied and people commenting havent a clue about the circumstances.I have been in this game a long time and know whats right and whats wrong and wouldnt put something on here unless I was certain.

Can you also comment on sacking one of your men for raising a safety concern ? or am I lying about that also, you have came on here and attacked me for no reason and I will not allow my name to be sullied by you or anyone else. My reputation is 100% respected by every employer I have worked for yet why u choose to attack me makes you look guilty , unless your teeside or some other bampot

Yer i been on there sites and everyone esles sites

i wear the ppe provided

but sometimes i wear some other compamy ppe instead of the compamy i work for

1 may be in the wash

2 didn't like the colour

3 to wind my current employer up

good for u

I wish you wouldnt comment on things you havnet a clue about, and this will be the last time I comment on this thread.
I know the truth as do a lot of employees and I only asked the leagal side of things, and was verbally attacked for it ?

Dendo,

You say you have been in the game a long time ? well you must know how employers act ?

I stand by my first question and never slagged any1 of , yet you have taken time out to bad mouth me ? wonder why ?

Until you know the facts ya crawl then dont comment.

People on here know the truth and your just making yourself out to be a scum bag and bit of a bam pot, but I expect that from c..k suckers wae the gaffers as do all my fellow scaffs. Grow a pair and act like a man that your kids can be proud of instead of a puppet for the gaffers

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

read my threads stupod and you will see Im not a bad mouth or are you from his neck of the woods and looking for work ?
I am a mans man and dont say these things lightly but you must be hanging out gaffers arses cos we all know who they are.
Grow a pair and let your kids be proud of you or stay a SCAB

Top Bottom