NASC...no thanks (1 Viewer)

moanalot

Reaction score
About 6 months ago we got a call from a builder who contracts to interserve on smallish works (Banks etc)...We gave him a quote and he gave us the job and then pretty much gave us every job we quoted him.
We were not cheap but gave him a good scaffold when he wanted it.Happy days.Then interserve started sniffing around sticking their two bobs worth in,just letting us know who's boss.
Fair enough.
Then all the crap started,wanting a design for a 4 metre tower 8 metres high round the back of a pub in nottingham.

But they can't wait for the designer and they need the job up tomorrow...
Ya know the score.
Then last week interserve send out a memo saying that "any scaffolding co working for us after july 2011 must be a member of the NASC...Our man sent us a copy and we said "it was nice working with ya and good luck but theres no way we are joining that circus"...He was'nt happy...Shame but there you go_One door closes and all that...

We work for interserve and we havent had that yet

We work for interserve and we havent had that yet
You better ask the question then cos thats what they said...And to be honest it is gonna be messy for ongoing contracts and change over...Our instruction came from the Birmingham office (I think) Not that I'me bothered...

Hmmm dont think il ask yet as like you we are through subbys too

Losing out now cause of the nasc with a few firms bam willmot dixon osborne to name a few

need a permit the other day for a job,when to meet chap from highways at job he was already there, he had turn round to the custmer at the job and said, to them we recommend you use a NASC memeber for pavement work bang out of order something needs to be done about all this .

Hmmm dont think il ask yet as like you we are through subbys too

Losing out now cause of the nasc with a few firms bam willmot dixon osborne to name a few
I have got the e-mail on a pdf file that I can't move onto here but it comes into force on july 1st...if you dm me youre e-mail adress I will send it to you...

Scaffolding in the future, will be like going to the shops.

Once upon a time, you went shopping, you went to Mr a's shop because you liked what he did different for you. Mr B's Shop was where you went for that little extra finesse, Mr C's shop was open when you needed him most.

Hypermarkets,Supermarkets 24/7 monopolising the whole retail trade, they started on the corner shops, now you can buy anything, REPEAT, anything off these cartels, Insurance, Loans, Furniture etc,etc. and if you are a lazy fat Fook, order it online.

How will you feel if this happens to the Scaffolding industry? slowly but surely trying to make a NASC membership a only acceptable entitlement to tender???

Scaffolding in the future, will be like going to the shops.

Once upon a time, you went shopping, you went to Mr a's shop because you liked what he did different for you. Mr B's Shop was where you went for that little extra finesse, Mr C's shop was open when you needed him most.

Hypermarkets,Supermarkets 24/7 monopolising the whole retail trade, they started on the corner shops, now you can buy anything, REPEAT, anything off these cartels, Insurance, Loans, Furniture etc,etc. and if you are a lazy fat Fook, order it online.

How will you feel if this happens to the Scaffolding industry? slowly but surely trying to make a NASC membership a only acceptable entitlement to tender???
Well put paddy...I just feel sorry for all those smalll firms that try to get on and don't understand how corrupt this industry is gettin...
You won't beat the Bung mate no matter how good you're little firm is...Sad but true...

well one of there members was on a site we was on, there was a stair case to be done and they did not have the time to do, it so we got a call to go and put it up ( more like no money in that for them ) anyway some of the work on that site was shocking, so many lap boards, incorret standard spaceing just a mess, if you have got a few grand to put down the drain then join it makes me sick coz no 1 say anything to them coz they are members of the nasc.

A local council in our area has given all of its housing maintenance work to a national contractor. ( A contractor that was fined almost £18m in the price fixing enquiry but thats another story)

When we tried to get on their tender list, we were told that we had to be members of the NASC. When we reminded them that two of the scaffolding companies they were using weren't members, we were told they had been working for them before they brought the NASC rule in, so they didn't need to be members. Talk about double standards

This is a difficult one.

If we want to control cowboy firms we need a standard to work to.

The NASC has put one in, but its too high & too exclusive.

The SCCR are trying to fill in the gap, in a couple of months we are launching a members charter. This will be the stepping stone to our elite membership that will be audited.

Give the client a choice of companies that are working to best practice, have insurance, knowledge of the work required & the appropriate training & development of their staff.

In order to achieve this the industry needs to be more honest with itself & the training needs a complete overhaul. Too much of a two tier system.

Stewart

wel put ragscaff. this industry is a gold mine fur the gold digers. from wat i can see ther is a lack of organizatin betwean the scaffolders if we got organized and stuck togethir and agreed a plan for the future we could tell cisrs and nasc what we think is right for scaffolders. the training is all over the place why are employers not allowed to train scaffolders who hav there part 1 n 2s how to erect the system scaffold the employer uses?????? thur is no law that says u must have a cisrs card to erect scaffolds i think it is right we hav a uk standards but only if the scaffolders get a say in wat is in the standards of scaffolding. when u think about it it is the cisrs that are lowering the standards to allow a non scaffolder in aberdeen to be a cisrs instructor. we must get beter organised and take a hold of our industry and not allow a bunch a gold digers to dictate wat we will get in training coursaes. scaffolders united !!!

This is a great idea Stewart. Will there be help in getting small firms like mine into the elite program ?
Also Nasc wont get rid of the so called bodgit and scarper firms only HSE can help us with the so called scaffold companys. WERE ARE HSE ?
Companys like Nasc dont like compitsion in one area i heard is this true?
Why cant SCCR get a program that is reconised by street works like Nasc and the council takes this as a minumum qualification of a good working ordit of a company to work in and on the highway. What would be the cost

We are working to provide another choice for scaffold firms to become members of a trade organisation. Then we will put pressure on local councils & main contractors to use companies that are part of a trade body. This would be with the backing of the HSE.

Stewart

Top Bottom