self employment damage claiming (1 Viewer)

grafter

Reaction score
hello:evil: scaffs had an accident the other day and had to pay for damage a couple of hundread quid if i get invoice or receipt could i claim any of it back if self employed and if so how would i go about it.

they should be insured mate, so tell them its was an acciedent you pay, piss me off firms like you work for, tell them it was one of there on the cards

Difficult situation this one lads...

I'm not in anyway suggesting that lads should pay for damages all the time BUT sometimes you have to be responsible for your own actions, for example.

We had a lad that loaded ply sheets onto his lorry and didnt strap them down correctly (In fact I dont think he strapped them down at all) and drove down the motorway, you guessed it, a number of sheets blew off the wagon and caused a huge amount of damage to some cars not to mention the chaos caused by shutting the motorway etc, in truth it was lucky nobody was f*cking killed!!

Now in that instance the insurance paid out the claim as it was above our excess and apart from a right good f*cking the lad didnt get financially penalised BUT whos to blame??!! It certainly wasnt the Company was it?? (Please... before anyone chirps in with "The Company should have checked his load...A driver is ALWAYS responsible for their own load...Reference Road Traffic Act)

This leads me to my next point, Insurances carry an excess, in our case its £5k (When I worked for SGB Nottingham it was nearly £100k!!)so anything under we are liable for which will come straight off the bottom line (Which is a very thin if not non exsistant line nowadays!!) which hurts the business and can have knock on effects in other areas of the Company.

We as a rule dont get a lot of damage problems (Touching wood as I write!!)maybe 4 or 5 windows a year and the odd car scratch but I think people should be responsible for their actions and be financially penalised for irresponsible situations that they alone have created...

Last edited:
Difficult situation this one lads...

I'm not in anyway suggesting that lads should pay for damages all the time BUT sometimes you have to be responsible for your own actions, for example.

PW
I'm with you on this one, we issued a brand new van and the lads decided to have a play fight on the bonnet needless to say the bonnet caved in so we charged him as I thought this was neglect, we charged him over 52 weeks which I think was fair, but if I think it is a genuine accident then we pay. At the end of the day we are here to make the company money which is very hard at the moment. The lads have to realise that we are not a charity with an endless pot of money to give away. I'm sure the lads would be holding thier hands out if i jumped on thier car bonnet etc. :huh:

Top Bottom