Scaffold structures that need to be designed (1 Viewer)

andyf8686

Reaction score
Scaffold structures that need to be designed
1.Dead Shores
2.Flying shores
3.Raking shores
4.Cantilevered scaffolds
5.Truss-out Scaffolds
6.Access Birdcages
7.Façade retention
8.Access scaffolds with more than the 2 working lifts allowed with TG20 'Basic Scaffolds'
9.Buttressed free-standing scaffolds
10.Temporary roofs and temporary buildings
11.Support scaffolds
12.Loading Bays founded on the ground
13.Mobile and static towers outside base/height limitations
14.Free standing scaffolds outside base/height Limitations
15.Temporary ramps and elevated roadways
16.Staircases and fire escapes
17.Spectator Terraces and Seating Stands
18.Bridge scaffolds
19.Towers requiring guys or ground anchors
20.Offshore scaffolds outside Offshore Contractors Association (OCA) handbook
21.Pedestrian footbridges or walkways
22.Slung and Suspended scaffolds
23.Protection fans, Nets and Pavement Frames
24.Marine scaffolds
25.Boiler scaffolds
26.Power line crossings
27.Lifting gantries and towers
28.Steeple scaffolds
29.System scaffolds outside users guide parameters
30.Sign board supports
31.Sealing end structures
32.Temporary Storage on Site
33.Masts, Lighting Towers and Transmission Towers
34.Advertising hoardings/banners
35.Any scaffold structure subject to:
Vibration
High Loading
Long term duration
High risk areas
Loading from passenger/goods hoists

I must get a phone call every week regarding no 6.

Question, how long is long term duration ?

Max

Good question, it's like saying how long does a pandrop last :nuts:

i think i will go into the design side of things going by that list.
i would argue the case with the majority of them though.ive built allsorts of scaffolds in allsorts of enviroments without drawings and im talking recently for the big mobs without any hassle over drawings

happy

Aye, just get a colouring book and crayons, just make as good a job as some of these shore side Designers---how many times have you had to amend and or modify the structure on the job ???.

The trick offshore is build the job then do the drawing or design , then charge a fortune for it . Been at it for years .

Scaffarobbo

That is the reality in a lot of cases---problem is Design Engineers on the Beach cannot conduct a pre-task analyses unless they have remote viewing and even then they cannot see the obstructions and steel work configuration, many of these Scaffold Structures are of one of bespoke nature and their correlation is not specified within the TG Docs, therefore, this is where the Scaffold Erector has to call upon his Practical Experience Problem Solving skills.

How many design Drawing have accompanied a Scaffold Request that have actually been accurate or indeed have been generated at all ???.

Garry...

What about this scenario... call out 2am, eg. hanger needs erecting for an urgent repair.. how do you get that designed at that time in the morning... ??

deb

Bang on---one must think the un thinkable---plan for every scenario, furthermore, many of the Maintenance Core Crew Scaffolders erect bespoke Scaffold Structures as second nature.

Garry...

You are spot on Gary , we are trained to know the loads and stresses that components and structures can take and even then a belt and braces attitude is deployed . I feel there should be more recognition of a scaffolders skill in knowing this rather than send back to the beach for piddley jobs . There are cases were a tech drawing is essential but in my experience this is rare .

Scaffarobbo

Aye, as rare as a sighting of a Design Engineer performing a Pre-Task Analysis and or even a simple walk through.

I have long championed the idea of bolt-on Training that would allow a Scaffolder to generate his own drawings---but as you know one must have at least a recognized minimum of an HNC and the ability to generate CAD Drawings. Surly this is not beyond the realms of a Scaffolders brain capacity, after all were are constantly told that Scaffolding is not rocket science :cool:

Garry...

This is the type of meaningfull training we should be doing , as you say all hazards can be assesed on the job . CAD drawings ain`t rocket science and we are all involved with computers these days to generate most things (permits , risk assesments , working at height and rescue plans but to name a few ) . I can hear the cries of derision from the engineering fraternity already .

Definately agree with that....

Scaffarobbo/deb

I concur, in these modern time one can generate Drawings with have soft ware which generate the calculations for you, for example the Rigging Loft Software package that generates the lifting plans, it gives exactly where to position the sling configuration and associated lifting gear ( Gypsy/Block ect, ect ).

If we could generate a Data Base for each and every Scaffold requested for Planned Maintenance Programs our Task would be all the more effective and efficient---these Drawings would incorporate, SSW, MS, RA, Bills of Quantities ect, ect---

leave the Guys on the Beach with their dot to dot books PMSL...

If you have a breakdown and the scaffs got to go up fast, its a great idea for us to be able to get on with it and not having the time to get a drawing done....

Top Bottom