Being forced into Self employed (1 Viewer)

scaffotools

Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for setting up this much needed site, its great to be able to communicate at last with other scaffolders.

Sadly my first post is to ask for advice.
Our boss is making us all go self employed and Im wondering what his game is, whats it making for him and what it means for me?

Will I have to get public liability insurance and if so where do I go for it? Is it expensive? What am I going to lose if I do this?

Is this legal?

Many thanks,

Scaffotools

Last edited:
No he can't! if your going to the same place of work everyday, he's telling you what to do, he determines your hours etc, your not self employed. Ring the HMRC. ACAS is another option for you , they're really helpful and will explain your righs, and may even investigate him. He wants you to go self employed because it saves the employer around 30% in labour costs (taking into account hol pay, employers ni, etc) good luck with it

Firstly: Welcome scaffotools

Secondly: do you have a contract?

Thirdly: Introduce yourself in new members thread, tell us a bit about yourself, then wait for all the helpful replys :)

Hello & Welcome scaffotools

In regard to your prediciment.

1) Check your Contract of Employment, if you dont have on you certainly should as that contravenes Employment Law, for a start they would have to make you redundant from your on the books position (PAYE) which entails all relavenet notice periods and redundancy payments etc and re-employ you under the CIS scheme.

2) Check out the ACAS site or speak to them direct which will spell out your set of circumstances and what your Employer can and cannot do. But please remember ACAS are an arbitration service and will not pursue an unlawful Employer however they will report them or advise you to report them to the relevant party.

3) I strongly suspect they are doing it to avoid PAYE contributions and reduce your employment rights i.e. Notice Period, Holiday Pay, Sick Pay etc.

I hope that helps, I also hope they are a decent employer that will listen to their employees concerns (They have by Law to consult the work force on ANY change to your working conditions) and work together to find a solution, I strongly suspect they are not!! I also completley understand that sometimes you have to keep your head down so you can keep a wage coming in..BUT....if this is the case mate I would play along with it whilst trying my f*cking hardest to find something else and when you do just drop them like a hot brick!!

Last edited:
He'll be telling you all that you've to change to self employed to dodge his contributions, but also if everyone goes along with it then he can claim that you all resigned to become self employed and therefore doesn't need to pay any redundancy and so on, contact your union or even the the local Citizens Advice mate.

Best get off this sinking ship! any jobs on olympics?!?!

cheers for all your replies. Hes not handed the forms over yet, but is again paying us all in cash this week! Trouble is definately afoot.
As u say hes hoping no one opens their gob and says no, so he can get away with it.
Any jobs going on the olympics? Best be realistic and get off of this sinking ship soon.

Top Bottom