Hello all, newbie to this site. (1 Viewer)

The Ruts

Reaction score
Hello all.

Just putting a post introducing myself to all you fellow scaffolders and scaffold engineers out there.

My names Danny, I'm an ex-scaffolder of 20 years, now a scaffold design engineer. Based in the south coast of England.

how do pal, can you please tell me a little how you get in to being a scaffold design engineer please, what courses would i need to do and what are the job prospects, thanks :eek:

Welcome the ruts
your design knowledge will be very helpful to the forum

Hi Danny and Welcome To The Scaffolders Forum!

It's great to have another designer on board!

Regards

SF Admin

how do pal, can you please tell me a little how you get in to being a scaffold design engineer please, what courses would i need to do and what are the job prospects, thanks :eek:

robvinpaul,

To be honest mate Im not sure, in my experience there isnt many specific scaffold design courses about, not any that would gain you a creditable qualification anyway.

I know scaffold design engineers that have HND/HNC level qualifications in structural/civil engineering. You can obtain these on a part time basis from most colleges, depending on what basic core qualifications you have.

My personal experience was that I went to my local University and asked there, they considered my time served in the construction industry (I think it was a 15 years minimum requirement) and they offered me a place on a foundation year in Engineering. This was, I guess, to prepare you for a degree course and to guage whether or not your capable of succeeding on a degree course.

I finished up gaining a Masters Degree in Civil Engineering after 5 years at Uni. A bit overkill really for scaffold design but that was just a personal preference. (typical scaff mentality, take it to the limit!! LOL)

I would suggest that you contact your local college/university and discuss it with them, they will more than likely be able to give you a bit more advice.

By the way, its a very busy but rewarding job! Ive just started out on my own and my phone never stops!!!!

Hope this helps!

TG20 08.This must be a blessing for you now that most scaffolds are to be classed as so called advanced structures,i suppose a drawing is regarded as neccessary back up for the scaffolds design.Good luck to you Ruts hope you make a packet mate..;)

Hello & Welcome The Ruts

Nice to have another Engineer on board especially with so much scaffolding experience.

I will be seeing a lot more of Portsmouth in the near future as my boy is going to start at the Uni in September undertaking a business degree.

Any tips on the city would be greatly apprieciated, I have done the open day stuff and it all seems very nice but I'd like to know the bits they dont tell you about and also the good bits from a natives perspective..

Many thanks in anticipation

Paul

Welcome to the forum Danny, its good to see so many from the engineering side of our industry have the cojones to speak their piece on here, it should really be called the scaffolding forum as there are far more to the industry than just erectors

Top Bottom