Scaff step again. Please read. (1 Viewer)

SWIFTY

Reaction score
The SCCR are putting a report together on the use of scaff steps and we need your input.

1. Does your employer or their customers insist on the scaff step being the only method used on their sites?

2. What other methods of advanced guard rails do you or your company use and what is your opinion on them?

3. If you use a scaff step what type is it, does it sit on the guard rail or on the standard, does it have a ladder to the platform or not?

4. If you use a scaff step do you feel safe using it, do you hemp while standing on the step?

5. Do you think that the scaff step causes extra strain and fatigue to the body?

6. Are you happy with hemping over the guard rail, do you consider this dangerous.

7. Do you use the scaff step on base lifts, if so how do you manage with uneven ground conditions?

8. How are the scaff steps transported from site to site?

9. Do you consider them dangerous in wet or muddy conditions?

10. Have you or have you witnessed an accident or near miss due to the use of the scaff step or hemping over the guard rail?

11. Do you feel that your job is at risk if you complain about using something you consider unsafe or puts extra strain on your body?

12. Do you think the SG4:05 traversing rule was adequate?

All answers by P.M. or on this thread would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Swifty

Last edited:
1. Does your employer or their customers insist on the scaff step being the only method used on their sites?

Not the only, but preferred method.

2. What other methods of advanced guard rails do you or your company use and what is your opinion on them?

Dummy lift although stopped using it because a ladder had to be erected constantly and became time consuming.

3. If you use a scaff step what type is it, does it sit on the guard rail or on the standard, does it have a ladder to the platform or not?

Combisafe, works fine on T/F but with Kwikstage you require three (yes three) scaffsteps per bay if using Kwikguards. Two with a narrower fitting for the Kwikguards and one for the inside guardrail, making for a very cluttered working environment when you add your working material to the equation.

4. If you use a scaff step do you feel safe using it, do you hemp while standing on the step?

Easy answer is no and yes.

5. Do you think that the scaff step causes extra strain and fatigue to the body?

Most certainly, of that I have absolutely no doubt.

6. Are you happy with hemping over the guard rail, do you consider this dangerous.

No and yes

7. Do you use the scaff step on base lifts, if so how do you manage with uneven ground conditions?

Depends on height of first boarded lift. If possible a kicker lift must be erected and boarded to use the step. If not possible just deal with it.

They are left on site at all times which is wrong IMO because they aren't properly serviced.

I consider them dangerous full stop. Those conditions only add to the problem.

10. Have you or have you witnessed an accident or near miss due to the use of the scaff step or hemping over the guard rail?

Not yet but I'm certain some sort of repetitive strain injury will be cause by it's use.

11. Do you feel that your job is at risk if you complain about using something you consider unsafe or puts extra strain on your body?

From my experience any comments are taken on board but ultimately dismissed as "these are the rules and you have to work by them"

I appreciate the desire to wipe out suspension trauma by use of an advanced guardrail system but in some situations it just isn't practicable. The traversing rule was flawed as it allowed scaffs to walk into open areas 'unprotected' normally on T/F whereas on any system the edge protection could be erected one bay at a time while clipped on as the scaff was never going further than the next set of standards.

As I've said previously, more time and effort should have been spent punishing the cowboys who abused the traversing rule instead of punishing everyone by enforcing these advanced guardrail systems which undoubtedly slow production and raise costs.

Reports from the Oil and Gas ( one of the Blue Chip Oil and Gas Service Companies which will remain nameless ) Offshore and Onshore Facilities, do not use Scaff Step, I have never seen a Scaff Step ( apart from the illustration in SG4:10 ) never mind use one.

If any Offshore Scaffold Erector uses any of the AGR Systems please let us know ???

Garry Adams

SCCR Committee Chairman Oil and Gas Sector...

A big thank you to the members of this forum that have sent me private messages answering my questions.
Keep them coming lads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the strictest of confidence obviously.

Last edited:
As I've said previously, more time and effort should have been spent punishing the cowboys who abused the traversing rule instead of punishing everyone by enforcing these advanced guardrail systems which undoubtedly slow production and raise costs.

My response is as Bundys quote.

Not the only, but preferred method.

Dummy lift although stopped using it because a ladder had to be erected constantly and became time consuming.

Combisafe, works fine on T/F but with Kwikstage you require three (yes three) scaffsteps per bay if using Kwikguards. Two with a narrower fitting for the Kwikguards and one for the inside guardrail, making for a very cluttered working environment when you add your working material to the equation.

Easy answer is no and yes.

Most certainly, of that I have absolutely no doubt.

No and yes

Depends on height of first boarded lift. If possible a kicker lift must be erected and boarded to use the step. If not possible just deal with it.

They are left on site at all times which is wrong IMO because they aren't properly serviced.

I consider them dangerous full stop. Those conditions only add to the problem.

Not yet but I'm certain some sort of repetitive strain injury will be cause by it's use.

From my experience any comments are taken on board but ultimately dismissed as "these are the rules and you have to work by them"

I appreciate the desire to wipe out suspension trauma by use of an advanced guardrail system but in some situations it just isn't practicable. The traversing rule was flawed as it allowed scaffs to walk into open areas 'unprotected' normally on T/F whereas on any system the edge protection could be erected one bay at a time while clipped on as the scaff was never going further than the next set of standards.

Thanks to all those for sending in your comments. This is helping us a lot.

Most seem afraid of loosing their jobs because of a so called safety measure.

If you complain or make a fuss, you have to use them.

This is not what is needed.

Keep them coming in your names will not be used in anyway shape or form without your permission.

Stewart

Thanks again to all that have answered.
Please reply by private message or on this thread. SCCR members can reply on our website.

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

The SCCR are putting a report together on the use of scaff steps and we need your input.

All answers by P.M. or on this thread would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Swifty
;)

1/ no
2/b-safe fast guard bit pricey, ok on clean tube if you got brickys muck all over tube it jams up, lot quick in longer run and safer.
3/on the standard it does have a ladder to platform.
4/no and no
5/yes
6/no and yes
7/have used it on base lifts had 1 start to bend after 5,weeks.
8/on gantrey of truck.
9/consider them very dangerous all together ( going to be a lot more pepole falling off them in the winter months).
10/yes witnessed a near misswith my son and he will not use themanymore. as for hemping over guard rail had to pull it back so someone could get the hemp in the sleeve.
11/yes they all go on about health and safety but the min you say something you get told well if you do not do it we will get someone else who will.
12/no.

Top Bottom