Whitworth 7/16 in UK 1/2 in Australia (1 Viewer)

detroit

Reaction score
yeah yeah i'm a newbie here, so be cool, and i'm in Australia.

Any veterans have a decent understanding as to why scaffolding fittings are still using the ancient (1841), redundant and long discarded Whitworth standard? What is holding up the migration to metric for example?

Another question for the seasoned veterans out there concerns the actual sizing used in the UK. When I was in London around 10 years ago I noticed all the couplers on the street were using the smaller 7/16 size. This in particular spun me out (I had the idea to buy a decent spanner in the UK to bring back to OZ) since practically everything in Australia that I've used is actually 1/2" Whitworth save for the occasional rare fitting that's completely rusted out and looks 50 years old. I've been told that the UK used to use 1/2 inch but moved to the smaller 7/16 years ago, ideas as to when?

Some suppliers tell me if any 1/2" gear comes in they throw it out. There must be some usage reasons for using 7/16 over 1/2 as a preference. Anyone have the reasoning for this? I don't have a 7/16 spanner so I've never been able to use one with this size bolt on a fitting, only a ratchet can be used due to it having a 21mm head on one side (24mm on the other which is loose on a 1/2"W). However, I must say the 7/16 fitting does feel more secure for some reason.

I'm obviously trying to understand why in Australia we have settled for the 1/2"W, rather than the UK's 7/16 obviously that probably can't be answered here. It is possible we originally started with 1/2 like the UK in the old days but never followed the migration to 7/16 like the UK. This all seems strange since Australian Scaffold standards and regulations have always been based off the UK standards/regs.

I'm trying to decide on a new spanner now. I recently finished a job offshore where I had great frustration because both my spanner and my ratchet did not fit the bolts. It was incredibly UNCOOL, trying to put up or take down hangers, and large spurred cantilevers with a frelling shifter on a boat swaging up to 10 degrees.

Lastly, who's got any logical reason WTF the pin bolt nuts heads on beam clamps are so narrow and have no base to them? That is have no moulded washer base so that a shifter sits at the base of the nut without falling off. Again massive pain trying to undo, crusty seized up beamies with a shifter on a moving vessel, with one hand.

Gidday Detroit,welcome to the forum mate. I'm sure there are a few on here who could answer your questions. I aint seen a halfinch fitting in years, and about time Oz caught up with the old country and switched to 7/16 fittings dont you think,lol. As far as I know,the nut on the fittings is patented and any manufacturer wanting to produce fittings would have to pay a royalty to owners of the patent,probably why some spanners are a bit loose on nuts. Some one probably owns the patent on the spanner heads as well.Theres a guy on here ken cain,as old as the hills, ha ha he knows all.If hes not reading this post you could pm him.:cool:Have a nice day

Welcome detroit , very interesting first post , always thought the same about the beam bolts all they do is damage the beam , we now use a spring loaded clip that is excellent you just pop it in and close the little spring also very handy if the beams dont line up as you can hit them without the worry of damaging the threads. Not sure why 1/2 inch fittings where phazed out i worked with themyears ago and was always led to believe they where a stronger fitting , McAlpines only used 1/2 inch fittings and they even used then for the transoms there must be millions of them knocking about somewhere, probably all in OZ.

Welcome Detroit, I remember the old Mills 1/2" 90, it was bigger than the 7/16 that they later brought out, only explaination I can guess at, smaller fitting, less steel in its manufacture, but as Frederik says, Ken Cain would be the man to provide an answer.

Does anyone know if 1/2 inch is much stronger then 7/16 , i have never been sure but i never minded them

Does anyone know if 1/2 inch is much stronger then 7/16 , i have never been sure but i never minded them
Not sure either Phillo, but I'd imagine it would be the thickness of the bolt rather than the nut that would count.

I think you hit the nail right on the head there Brandy, If the kn load on the fittings are the same, as a manufacterer you'de save a fortune with a lighter fitting. Lets ask Ken!!

garry adams is the man for this one.
all the continental fittings are the same as half inch,but a 22mm fits like a glove detroit.
i have a ratchet i got from a haki demonstrator which is 21mm and 22mm very handy indeed:blink1:

Top Bottom