Quality of training

S Potter

Reaction score
hi guys

just joined the forum after a few weeks browsing as a member and would like to gather your thoughts on the quality of the training currently on offer for scaffolders.
there seems to be mixed views, but as a safety manager it would be interesting to hear you comments.

regards

Seamus.

a major subject of contention on here seamus as i think youll find debate goes from one end of the barometer to the other my thoughts well i tend to think the training courses currently let our industry down,not enough substance is the general complaint i hear coming from recent candidates.

Hello s potter are you a scaffolder into safety or just straight safety from day one ? If straight into safety would love to know your thought about scaffolding and what scaffold training you have undertaken ?

I think most training nowadays is more about passing exams than actually learning.. although throughout all my scaff training I think it was very good...
and remember no cards = employment prospects go down... like it or not, thats how it works..

I thought my training were easy enough to plow through made simple by my instructors on the scaffold side. I've got cards for a number of other training courses and qualifications which I've spent a few quid on too but still struggling to find jobs at this moment in time. Like they say its not wat but who you kno.
The safety side of it sometimes seems like they're finding more ways to make money out of us too if that makes any sense

Its not wot you know but who you know

but a full deck of cards today beats

10,20 and even 30 plus of years of experience

it seems as though all the training courses(too many too mention)these days come with a hefty price tag,no matter what course you do or trade its for.also cofusion seem to reign as to where this money goes and who it goes to,with todays culture of safety it seems to me as there is a fair bit of explotation going on.if these so called training organisations claim to be non-profit then why cant we have rock bottom fees for these courses instead of the over inflated premiums being paid by us scaffs??

so the general consensus is that the nasc need to invest more in training?
there is a proposal to increase the cisrs courses from a 2 week block to 4 weeks (in 2 seperate blocks 6 months apart)
this would give lads time to further their skills and produce their portfolios.
the feedback we have been given so far is quite positive and i believe its going to vote later this year.

this would be a move in the right direction training wise but it just leaves one little queery from me,having a lad take 4weeks off employment is very costly to the employer instead of the two weeks most companies would struggle with the cost.also will the course fee double in price as well as time????the pertinent point being made everywhere just now is cost and value for money i hope this isnt a move to fleece more cash and is a move to improve standards in training badly needed at our centres.

andy you are proper mental mate lol no flies on you bang bang bang AGAIN lol.love it pmsl.

Ha ha one job and everyone is trying to pinch if off me LOL
No problem SF willing to help anytime mate (for free ha ha just love the crack)

Top Bottom