Sheeting inside (1 Viewer)

gordy

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's OK / not OK to sheet on the insides of the standards??

Got a job on which would be loads easier to do if it was on the inside..

cheers!!

gordy

It has been an accepted practice to sheet habitat bulk heads on the inside---these are fully encapsulated habitats to accommodate a draft proof environment for prep and welding of pipe work butts...

Faced Scaffold Sheeting and Debris netting on the inside is more likely to contain materials on each lift, however, it could be down to the Design Engineer's preferance !...

we run ranch boards on the inside of the scaffold then sheet the inside with monoflex, which is stapled to the boards , this does for shot blasting painting etc, the same thing is then done but using fire proof tarps to make a pressurised habitat for welding , grinding cutting ,

I wouldn't recommend it, but if doing so, make sure you have 'sound' ties to the permanent structure & a 'good' tie pattern & that these aren't removed / tampered with by other trades
IMO, the sheeting toggles provide a 'failsafe' system when sheeting on the outside should unexpected wind conditions occurr

Used to ranch and sheet to inside off all scaffolds for asbestos removal,for containment of fibres,never encountered any probs,as joneng says correct tie patterns,things should be sweet..

This subject was raised on our part 2 last week, and they say that it should be on the outside as a standard, unless a design (drawing) states otherwise. If it is stated somewhere on a document that it is on the inside then the person who put it there is responsible should it act like a giant kite and blow your scaff over.

Its all about passing the buck and covering your own arse I'm afraid.

I have been told always on the outside of the structure based on the fact the ties will pop off when the wind exceeds a certain speed thus reducing the likleyhood of your scaffold blowing over, if its fixed to the inside the standards, handrail, braces etc will prevent its movement.

monarflex ties

not what you asked about but i thought i'd mention it. if you're fixing monarflex with the black rubber rings and black plastic anchors it can be a sod to push the anchor through up to four sheets. the easy way to do this is to get a plastic screw on nozzle off a tube of mastic shave the ring and ribs off the bottom with a stanley knife. you can now push the anchor into the end push the sharp end through the holes and retrieve the nozzle, and don't go home with your thumb looking like your big toe

I have been told always on the outside of the structure based on the fact the ties will pop off when the wind exceeds a certain speed thus reducing the likleyhood of your scaffold blowing over, if its fixed to the inside the standards, handrail, braces etc will prevent its movement.

You've been told right then, always on the outside unless the scaffold is designed to take it on the inside!

with any structure now under the new tg:20 guidelines. Every sheeted structure should, by law, be designed.

sheeeting

all monarflex should be fixed on outside, bungees are made to snap off in winds of approx. 35mph, scaffold becomes like a giant sail,unless as already stated it is a design job, saw a job with a roof on that had walked 2 foot from the building due to monarflex being on inside.

I would argue whether it it the 'law' or not

That is why the document is call "TG" 20 as in Technical Guidance and as such is not statutory...However.....should the sh*t hit the fan the powers that be would want an extremely good excuse as to why you didnt follow said "Guidance" and would probably find you in breach of HSWA, WAHR, CDM
or a combination anyway!!:unsure:

Am aware of that, but the word 'law' is bounced around incorrectly & that was my point :)

Does anyone know if it's OK / not OK to sheet on the insides of the standards??

Got a job on which would be loads easier to do if it was on the inside..

cheers!!
hi , been in the game 33 years allways on outside dont like monarflex acts like sails on a ship but if you put it on the inside it cant break free of the standards and the chances of blowing youre job over are higher stick to the old ways they are there for good reason cheers .

Top Bottom