Are There Any American Scaffolders Out There?

SF Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
Are There Any American Scaffolders Out There?

Not an American but I was in Florida for 6 months, Did a bit of work for some chippies, Really they don't use scaffold. Its all done with cherry pickers and scissor lefts. I just hat to make 6 foot wrorking platforms for them. I had to to a 1 day course to be able to work with them. I made a show of the instructor.
He was showing lads what to do wrong like Putting couplers on wrong and just sill stuff. I was telling him about what he should do to brace the scaffold, with a racker. He was not impressed with me because he had a full class:D. He then question me how I know all this, implying I was wrong. But when I told him I was a qualified scaffolder and was scaffolding for 7 years, and explaining to him that Ireland and the UK were far more advanced in scaffolding than America.:D
That shut him up

Last edited:
I see this a lot

I see this a lot, trainers no knowing s..t and not willing work with some one in the class. Some of the best classes I do have input that comes from the class. I train but have not done or seen it all.

I'm a carpenter/scaffold builder from Chicago, hoping to go work up at fort macmurray in canada

American Scaffolders

I really love that the international community respects Scaffolders as a real craft trade. In the US scaffold is done by anyone who owns a hammer mostly. I would love to get some information about international scaffolder training courses to compare with.

AOISAOIS
Not an American but I was in Florida for 6 months, Did a bit of work for some chippies, Really they don't use scaffold. Its all done with cherry pickers and scissor lefts. I just hat to make 6 foot wrorking platforms for them. I had to to a 1 day course to be able to work with them. I made a show of the instructor.
He was showing lads what to do wrong like Putting couplers on wrong and just sill stuff. I was telling him about what he should do to brace the scaffold, with a racker. He was not impressed with me because he had a full class:D. He then question me how I know all this, implying I was wrong. But when I told him I was a qualified scaffolder and was scaffolding for 7 years, and explaining to him that Ireland and the UK were far more advanced in scaffolding than America.:D
That shut him up
Hi do you live anywhere near PORT LAOIS,lived there for a couple months back in 2000,working for a local agency,lived in his house back of the nick,never seen so many pubs in any street in my life loved it there

AOISAOISHi do you live anywhere near PORT LAOIS,lived there for a couple months back in 2000,working for a local agency,lived in his house back of the nick,never seen so many pubs in any street in my life loved it there

I live near portlaois mate and i have worked there on a few occassions.i also have spent 24 hours in that nick, not a nice place. Its a good drinkin town, petty the old bill are pr**ks.

There is a yank scaffolder on the north sea producer working for maersk, his name is ged brin and he is a ASSHOLE!!!

I was under the impression that Americans cant do this job.
Ive never worked with one.

thats a big NO!!!!! doing my ptlls soon so hope i will go there and teach them !!!! real scaffolding!!!!!

I was under the impression that Americans cant do this job.
Ive never worked with one.

UBS did a nice job on the Statue of Liberty and Grand Central Station in NY.
Admittedly it was a formwork system they used not T&F. They bought it over here and it was used for the hoist towers on Canary Wharf and The Gherkin. They also bought a container full of energy drinks and Hershey bars over....got emptied quick sharp by us lol

Speaking as an American i can only wish that the people here would take scaffolding as serious as elsewhere in the world. Our requirements for training are absurd. Its like one poster said "all you have to have is a hammer". There are a few of us out here that take it serious but not many. I would love to have any training information any of you could get me from overseas. It would be kool to make a few instructors and HSE look bad......lol

I like to think of myself as a Scaffolder. I have to agree with the other posts when it comes to american scaffold. There are good american scaffold builders around, but i wish there were more of them around. On every big job i'm on i spend aaaaaallllllot of time teaching people the basics because they are card buyers. The Union has been very good to me. I wish Scaffold was taken more seriously in the US

agreed, most don't take scaffold seriously around here. they have the throw it up asap and split mentality. union has been very well to me, but work here is drying up. all the work at the refinery expansion is nearly done, and i'm going to have to look to other parts of the country or canada for work

Dont put all american scaffs down worked in the states 5 times with there are sum good scaffs as well

are scaffolders on good money out in the u.s? im lookin to work abroad

Who opened the flood gates to the Americans Hahahaahahha

Welcome guys you will get all the help and information you need right here just ask ,
hope you American scaffolders have a good sense of humor as it is needed on this forum :)

I have been in the scaffold industry for about 15 years and understand completely what you are saying. Scaffolding is all I know I grew up into the business but, you are right about the hammer thing. Seems like they would hire just about anybody off the street out here and put them on a scaffold. I am one of the good guys I take pride in my work and I try to train anyone who is willing to learn. Scaffolding is an art form so when I am working on a scaffold project I am an artist creating my masterpiece. I love scaffold let's build 1 right now everybody in the forum get in the chain line please. =)

Top Bottom