It's tax return time boys. (1 Viewer)

VancouverLeedsLondonBoy

Reaction score
Had a bit of spare time tonight so have started collating all my receipts etc.

I didn't realise how many I have amassed over the past year.

Question: What exactly can I claim for?

I have so much junk from Mcdonalds receipts to birthday card receipts. Never really thought about which receipts get used just always sent them all in.

Got Mobile bills, Internet, home phone etc.

Anyone add anything else in there as well?

Don't ask me to speak BetterTax, don't agree with the extortionate rates that they fleece some 'gullible' lads out of.

I do have an accountant and he's pretty good and very cheap but thought i'd ask on here anyways.

Are you vat registered and is your home your registered office, if so then there is a wide range of things you could possibily claim for apart from the usual diesel,tools etc you use for the job. You could claim for maintenence of your home/office ie, painting, refurbishment, heating, electrical, a good accountant should be able to get you a % of those costs. Heres another one I was told about, If you have a dog you can actually claim its a guard dog and claim for its feeding and vet costs.

Glasses for driving , parking fees , stationary , postage , work wear , not sure about the dog but i got a cat to keep the rats away :wondering:

Think you can claim for food if you have been working 12 hr shifts

What about Bulldog, The Tax Man has to work overtime to go through his grub bill.

quik pay working 16 hour a day any time ready

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

hard work and gaet many

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

enjoy your life 8 hour a day

Looks like i've upset someone because I said BetterTax are ripping people off. I'm entitled to an opinion and it is this...

Why do they find it acceptable to charge, what is it 30%? of your tax refund when I and most other people can look and find a perfectly decent accountant for 100 pounds regardless of the amount of rebate you get back. I just said this in a PM to someone.
I think they are no better than the agency's and it p1sses me off because lads don't know where to start when it comes to things like this.
Wolf in sheeps clothing springs to mind. :mad:

anyone help me with this one ?

ive been self employed since sept 2010 and paid £1508 in cis tax and earned £7500
my expenses are £2400

do i declare a loss and lose my rebate or just claim the £1508

cheers

Think you've got that one wrong there mate. You would claim a percentage of that 1508 that you have paid in tax. You also declare your expenses and the nice Gentleman at the Inland revenue decides how much you get back.

ah right i see mate. i thought i would be entitled to nearly all my tax by due to only earning £7500 taking into account my £6000 allowance for that year.
thanks for putting me right

i used better tax because they do all the leg work and after 2 phone calls im money better off, and as i dont physically pay them im psychologically not hit int the pocket. happy days. i was ripped off by an accountant who told me a price and on completion wouldnt hand over the cheque until i had paid his fee.....another £275 on top of what he had said the cheeky fecker!

i used better tax because they do all the leg work and after 2 phone calls im money better off, and as i dont physically pay them im psychologically not hit int the pocket. happy days. i was ripped off by an accountant who told me a price and on completion wouldnt hand over the cheque until i had paid his fee.....another £275 on top of what he had said the cheeky fecker!

Yeah but the fact is John they take 30% of your rebate. Even D1ck Turpin wore a mask pal.

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Any news on them QPR tickets yet anyways?

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

ah hello my hindu fwend

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

you people ran out of corners

Do please share? :laugh:

anyone help me with this one ?

ive been self employed since sept 2010 and paid £1508 in cis tax and earned £7500
my expenses are £2400

do i declare a loss and lose my rebate or just claim the £1508

cheers
HI Markus, to give you the correct advice,,, you will lose nothing!
If you've only earned that £7500 and the expenses you've said are legitimate, then you will get ALL the tax you've paid back.:)
HTH

thank you bettertax.
do i need to file my expenses are will i recieve my rebate by simply showing what i earned for the full year and what tax ive paid.
thanks again

thank you bettertax.
do i need to file my expenses are will i recieve my rebate by simply showing what i earned for the full year and what tax ive paid.
thanks again
Markus, your situation is fairly simple and therefore you don't really need our service or anybody's... just give me (roger) a ring at the office on Monday and I'll guide you through it in a breeze.
Meantime I must sign off as it's mother's day and somehow despite the fact that the kids should be catering to her happiness - I too manage to get roped in to what 'she who must be obeyed' wants... go figure!:amazed:

Top Bottom