citb levy (1 Viewer)

scaff369

Reaction score
does anyone else who is self employed on utr scheme have to pay the citb levy at 1.5% of your wage a right rip off if you ask me!!!

i thought it was only paid by companies who are registered with the citb

yeah thats true but what a few companies are doing now is any new starters get it put in there contract they must pay it so they just deduct 1.5% off your wage what can they do turn the job down or just pay it saves them £1000s a year but its not right in my opinion

Scaff
I agree mate, this deduction from your wage, seems unlawful to me mate, i think i will investigate this further mate, and any findings i will relay back to you.

I will be in touch through the week mate

Paddy

i've never heard of this before, i was lead to beleive that only companies with a certain turnover had to pay the CITB levy.

i suppose its just a way of recouping the money take it back off the workers

scaff369
A firm tried this one on me about 20 years ago, just trying to get us to bankroll thier payments. Told them where to shove it as I paid for my own courses. Worth looking into the legality of that mate.

Every construction firm with a total wage bill of £80,000 or more is liable to pay a CITB‑ConstructionSkills Levy. Details about your workforce and their wages are used to calculate your levy assessment. You will then get your annual levy bill at the start of the following year.

Current levy rates are 0.5% of the wage bill for your direct employees and 1.5% of payments made to labour-only sub-contractors.

If your total wage bill comes to less than £80,000 you won't need to pay CITB‑ConstructionSkills Levy. However, you do still need to complete your CITB‑ConstructionSkills

Initial investigation, i will delve deeper yet.

Paddy

The contractor I am working for has made deductions from me - why?
Under the Industrial Training Act 1982 we levy employers in the construction industry. Employers must pay levy on payments to sub-contractors for labour-only as well as on direct employees. However, the Act does not give authorisation to make deductions from any amounts paid to labour-only sub-contractor or other worker.

Section 13 of the Employment Rights Act 1996 (what was Section 1 of the Wages Act 1986) says that an employer must not take amounts from his or her worker's wages unless:

The deduction is authorised under the workers contract, or
The worker has previously agreed in writing
There have been a number of cases before industrial tribunals about deductions for our levy. The tribunals have made it clear that the deductions are not legal unless the worker has agreed beforehand.

The condition shown above of the Employment Rights Act applies to deductions made from labour-only sub-contractors as well as employees on PAYE. You may want to get legal advice about your own circumstances.

Paddy

Top Bottom