Fred Dibnah (1 Viewer)

popeye

Reaction score
Hi, new here . Always loved ol Fred [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W_7uIapoHc]YouTube - Fred Dibnah How to erect a chimney scaffold[/ame]

Speaking to Steeple Jacks I know they say he was a joke within the Industry however I thought he was highly entertaining and I watch most of the documentaries that he was involved in.

The first time I saw anything of his was one of his first documentries from the Seventies (Before you all start...it was a repeat!!) and he was bringing down that stack the old way by burning the temporary supporting timbers...Well it went didnt it....and nearly wiped him and his mates out...I have never seen him run so fast!! Great stuff!!

Last edited:
Totally agree there, highly entertaining to watch, but is it really that surprising to people that things like this are why we are where we are now with the working at height regs?

Dave.

Aye good old Fred he is a lost legend. There a chimney the bottom of my street bout 300 ft can remember being about 5 at school watching the steeplejacks swinging about on the bosun's chairs. Awesome would love a go.

The man was quality,the only precaution Fred took was to make sure his fags and lighter were safely secured in his pocket,lol,he loved a tab..:D

Fred was an old fashioned grafter and a legend , his knowledge in building techniques of a by-gone era were second to none . Boy could he use a boatswain chair , I say again LEGEND .

Totally agree there, highly entertaining to watch, but is it really that surprising to people that things like this are why we are where we are now with the working at height regs?

Dave.[/QUOTE

How many times did fred fall from the top of a chimney ?? it was the capstin full strength that killed him ;)

Dave.[/QUOTE

How many times did fred fall from the top of a chimney ?? it was the capstin full strength that killed him ;)

Maybe Fred didnt fall, but hundreds of others did.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W_7uIapoHc]YouTube - Fred Dibnah How to erect a chimney scaffold[/ame]
Once met him when we were doing a job in Sheffield, he pulled up on site to fill his steam engine with water , top bloke

YouTube - Fred Dibnah How to erect a chimney scaffold
Once met him when we were doing a job in Sheffield, he pulled up on site to fill his steam engine with water , top bloke
Great post Ian, I met him as well he was giving an after dinner speach to the local Rotary club, my mate's dad was the president and Fred was staying at my mates house, we chatted to him for about 10 minutes and in that time he smoked about 4 fags and drank 2 cups of tea, he wasn't a big fan of health and safety as I remember.I think Tufty was with me ,because after that we named ourselves Fred and Donald ( freds labourer) for the crack, even talking in northern accents when erecting scaffoldin ha ha

Thanks Ian A great post

would have loved to have met the guy,the videos brought back memories
did a couple of years steeple jacking with a firm called "Tinkers" out of Huddersfield. Old man Tinker was a pal of freds and they used to borrow gear from each other.Fred was only a youngster then and before his T.V. fame,his freehand drawings and sketches are the best
A great feeling swinging in a bosuns chair, Happy Days:D

Rest In Peace Fred

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L1WOnR2KBY]YouTube - Fred Dibnah How to bring down a chimney stack.[/ame]

Heres another of Fred bringing down a chimney.

Top Bottom