A chance to get my Part 1

WastedPotential

Reaction score
Hello all.

I have not worked as a scaff or even laboured for scaffs before. However, I have been in and out of various jobs for a while now and currently find myself out of work again. I have joined a scheme through the dole that allows you to be put on various courses. Which was lucky because they are stopping the scheme due to cuts and I am part of the last group accepted onto the scheme.

Basically I might be getting my part 1 paid for (I find out next week). I know people on here will be screaming 'do some labouring first' and that is my plan essentially. I dont want to do my part 1 and pretend im a scaff like some idiots (I know a shed load of scaffs who tell me things and have read a bit on here) but I was wondering if I get my part 1 and apply to firms basically saying 'look I have a part 1 but I would like to be a labourer to learn the trade first'. Do you think it would work in my favour???

I dont want to be out of my depth or be putting people in danger by pretending to be something I am not but I cant pass up the opportunity to get my part 1 paid for.

Also before people start saying 'do you know what game you are getting into' etc. yes I have thought about it considerably

Also I have a CCSNG Safety Passport but will I need to get a CSCS aswell???

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Get your part 1 without a doubt mate then start looking for a start , i am not sure how your training will work as i thought you had to have on-site experience to go on a course but if you can get it grab it. Just be honest about it and dont do anything you are not happy or confident to do , feed of the more experienced scaffolders and you will soon pick it up.

best of luck with mate

Dont worry mate, i met a few lads who never touched a spanner before part 01 it will come with experience. Like phil says training centre will be like on the job old hands finally doing there tickets & new ones coming through.
Best advice i can think of is when you get a start somewhere try to get teamed up with someone who is decent & will teach you well, nothing worse than learning bad habbits [not that i'd know owt about that!] find someone who is willing to show you the ropes & graft for 'em.
Good luck mate. Once your in you dont get out! i didnt think oid last 6months labouring after 6 years later im still on it & probably will be at 60!

Hopefully I will pass too :)

But like I say I want to do labouring first and not just jump on the spanners without having a clue.

If for instance someone got me in at somewhere like corus labouring would I be ok with my CCSNG Safety passport??? or would I need a CSCS card aswell. From my understanding I would be ok with my site saftey as its more to do with engineering and your CSCS is more to do with construction. Is that right or am I wrong?

Last edited:
thats about the size of it. ccnsg Safety Passport is for an industrial basis & CSCS Construction site.
Major contractor may let you on a construction site with safety passport depending on how large/high profile it is but its very easy to get, your new boss would probably pay for you.
Best place to get started is working on the town off a wagon pal. :bigsmile:

If it's through the dole you will get put on work placement by the training provider after your part one course show who ever your placed with that you a grafter and willing to learn.gud luck

If it's through the dole you will get put on work placement by the training provider after your part one course show who ever your placed with that you a grafter and willing to learn.gud luck

Oh I am a grafter. Ive also got a kid on the way :eek: so I have extra motivation.

Its not directly through the dole but they did refer me to a place.

Thanks for the help anyway lads.

Wasted potential

I like your style mate and wish you well in your attempt to become a scaffolder

If you complete your training you will be a Part 1 no if,s or but,s this is what the powers that be say these days,

I was taught in a very different way and in a very different era. To work in a scaffolding industry that was a lot less regulated by so called experts that know feck all about scaffolding.When the first card became available I had been scaffolding for years

What I do like is your attitude to learning the job inside out and not to become a b*ll sh*tter,ask the experienced guys you work with the questions and they will supply the answers you will also make some life long friends along the way

Last edited:
Top Bottom