supervisors course (1 Viewer)

jai

Reaction score
Been told I need my supervisors ticket for certain job any idea how long the course lasts and how much it is. ANY HELP

Hello mate it's 5 days and you need your supervisor touch screen test best off doing it before you go as they can then send your card strait out think it's about £900 for the course.
I did mine in 2007 ish good course I think

Thanks Andy think i shall look into getting it booked. Just more cash

Allan is that not the IOSH Managing Safely course or similar? Didn't think that held the same status as the five day supervisor/manager course.

I think there is a bit of confusion here.

There is a 2 day CITB Site Supervisor's Safety Training Scheme (SSSTS) - Which all manner of idiots seem to have these days. It's not scaffolding orientated, but is a general construction site supervisors course. A lot of contractors insist on a foreman or site supervisor having this ticket alongside an Advanced Scaffolders card. There is a 5 day version called SMSTS which is aimed at managers.

There is also a 5 day CISRS Supervisors course which all manner of idiots also seem to have (Including me) Which is a two-bob 'waste of a week' course, delivering a load of old nonsense including RAMS/Inspections/Man Management/Estimating etc etc. This course is usually aimed at, but not limited to, non working supervisors or managers. Anyone can do either course without any experience of anything.

There is a little bit of value in the SMSTS course, but the other two are not really going to teach an experienced scaffolder much.

You are, however, probably going to have more job opportunities with any of these courses on your CV....

Thought all you needed to become a supervisor was to have your brain sucked out and replaced with one that make you: The fastest ever when on the tools,be able to do any job with half the gear that a gang has asked for,able to lie without blinking,have 101 excuses for gear or gang not turning ,forgetting what it was really like on the tools,be able to drive while smoking and talking on mobile,can fight any one in the firm,not able to feel rain,snow or gale force winds,go all day without food or drink,start all the demics no one else will have claiming they are the best mainly because they are related.Did I miss anything?

Thought all you needed to become a supervisor was to have your brain sucked out and replaced with one that make you: The fastest ever when on the tools,be able to do any job with half the gear that a gang has asked for,able to lie without blinking,have 101 excuses for gear or gang not turning ,forgetting what it was really like on the tools,be able to drive while smoking and talking on mobile,can fight any one in the firm,not able to feel rain,snow or gale force winds,go all day without food or drink,start all the demics no one else will have claiming they are the best mainly because they are related.Did I miss anything?

Nope. I think you've pretty much covered everything mate....

Sssts

The Major Contractors Group (MCG) announced last year that, following a review identifying Supervisor Health & Safety training as an operational priority, all supervisors on the Major Contractors Groups sites must attend the Construction Skills (CITB) 2 day Supervisors Safety Training Scheme as part of their commitment to Health and Safety training.

The Major Contractors Group believe that one size fits all when it comes to safety, Health and Safety supervisor training needs to be tailored to suit each particular trade.

Upon completion of the 2 day SSSTS training course, candidates will be able to:

Understand the problems of the industry;
Appreciate how health and safety law is structured;
Identify how their supervisory role fits into that of the manager in controlling site safety;
Carry out risk assessments and understand the need for method statements;
Carry out site inductions, toolbox talks and method statement briefings;
Understand what is meant by proactive and reactive monitoring and appreciate their need.

Training courses only work well when everyone has a common interest, I remember several years ago, I attended a Health and Safety awareness course, there was a mixture of delegates, some who were kitchen staff at the savoy and others who were groundworkers and when the tutor was giving examples about hazards in the kitchen the groundworkers were dozing off bored to the back teeth. What is needed is like minded people of the same trade or skill discussing the problems in their industry and how they can be overcome. You can't do that effectively if you got too many disciplines in one room.

Training courses needs to be exciting, challanging, and mind stretching, they need to be tailored to suit each of the delegates so that everyone comes away with something really precious that can help them to be a safer and smarter worker.

The Major Contractors Group want everyone commited to Health and Safety, lets make a start by ensuring that each trade or discipline understands their own health and safety problems and how to deal with them first before moving forward. Its like trying to run before we can walk. we can only do this by ensuring that the training delivered is rewarding not boring.

We also need to be sure that training really works, statistics show that there are more accidents/incidents to people who have been trained than to those who have not.

If I am going to pay for training I want to be sure that I am getting value for money, I also want to receive some sort of guarantee that the training is going to work. I never found anyone who can give that yet.

Ken Cain

Top Bottom