Design Check Category

HJA

Reaction score
I'm hoping to collate a design check category requirement table for different types of scaffolding, does anyone have any docs where a category has been specified by the client or authority? from what i've seen the interpretation of table 1 in BS5975 seems varied to say the least.

CAT 2/3 status can have implications on the qualifications/membership of the checker (CEng, MICE, MIStructE e.g.) not defined in BS5975 but sometimes in the relevent authority's technical standards (Highways Agency BD02/05 e.g.) - does anyone know from where this competence level originates, is anyone aware of a standard where this is defined, implying it (member status) should be applicable for all CAT2/3 design checkers as best practice.

cat 2/ 3 checks

Hi HJA

With Network Rail the difference between Cat 2 and Cat 3 is if it is done internally or it needs and external independent design check.

Network Rail advise if it needs Cat 2 or 3 and this will depend on the risks to the railway.

With regard qualifications this is also determined by Network Rail as we have to regularly provide our CV's.

All the best

Chris Eng

Good question - I'm not aware of any qualification status for any authority as this can usually be overcome with the term 'competence' although clearly easier to demonstrate if you have this qualification. I usually stick to 5975 guidance and take it under advisement from the client.

Good question - I'm not aware of any qualification status for any authority as this can usually be overcome with the term 'competence'

I think that you will find that Westminster Highways insist on Chartered Engineer being the minimum qualification for the signatory on submissions that require their approval. This even applies for AIP's (Approval in Principle).

Chris

I thought CAT 2 and Cat 3 checks were related to London Underground and Form C was Network-Rail, mind you i always was getting them round the wrong way!

Top Bottom