Tying hoists to scaffolding (1 Viewer)

JonEng

Reaction score
I am interested in the frequency of this being requested / actually occurring on site - in my experience this is done because the hoist supplier has an issue tying directly to the permanent structure & assumes that by tying to the scaffold the loads imposed by the hoist tie tubes 'magically disappear'

We get asked all the time and put simply we DONT.

As a rule we leave it to the hoist supplier to sort their own tieing arrangement but if the client is insistant we ask THEM to provide the design scheme to prove it works.

Last edited:
It makes me laugh - the most recent request I recieved was because the hoist ties would foul the Metsec, so let's just tie to the scaffold!! :worried:

I challenged a Hoist supplier once, asking if I could tie my scaffold to their hoist :laugh:

Same with us, every time the request comes in we just refuse regardless how insistant the customer. It's amazing just how many slopy shoulders are out there.

What 'gets my goat' when I challenge the tying of the hoist to the scaffold is the response:

'every one else lets us do it!' :mad:

Good answer :laugh:

I can address the tying issue, but it does not get around the initial problem of tying back to the permanent structure - all seems a bit of nonesense to me really

From experience, the guys I have met on site are more like 'sales' people & have little technical knowledge

I asked once if they could reduce the frquency of hoist ties vertically (usually around 8m intervals) & was informed that this increasee the load in the ties! :unsure: :laugh:

As mentioned earlier this happens all the time.

Now generally i'm just a scaff and at best a chargehand but i refuse to let a hoist be tied to any scaffold that i'm related to in any fashion, not oly are there the concerns about tie loading but also vibration, I worked for a hoist company for 3 years and the vibration of the motion of a rack and pinion hoist is incredible to anyone not familiar with it.

forgive ma spellling an so on, i'm pissed today

I have to allow for a hoist which can lift 1000kg with a loading area. Ii havent much idea about hoists so if anyone can give me any advice that would be great.

It is a traditional brick and block build for shops and flats so I dont really know why it has to lift a tonne.

Martin

Hoist tie loads

Hi Mart

You will need to ask the Main Contractor for the type of Hoist to be used and the supplier should provide the tie load specification/ loads.

For a 1000kg hoist it would probably be something like an Alimak goods hoist platform, which I would not recommend tieing to the scaffold.

The hoist loads will depend on the height of the hoist mast, number of gates, distance from the scaffold, etc.

I do not like the hoists being tied to the scaffold generally, but some of the new type hoists, and lower capacity hoists, do not put massive loads on the scaffolds. The loads can be taken back through the scaffold to drilled anchors or ties, which need to be tested to 1.5 times the loads.

All the best

Chris Eng :idea:

Hi Mart

You will need to ask the Main Contractor for the type of Hoist to be used and the supplier should provide the tie load specification/ loads.

For a 1000kg hoist it would probably be something like an Alimak goods hoist platform, which I would not recommend tieing to the scaffold.

The hoist loads will depend on the height of the hoist mast, number of gates, distance from the scaffold, etc.

I do not like the hoists being tied to the scaffold generally, but some of the new type hoists, and lower capacity hoists, do not put massive loads on the scaffolds. The loads can be taken back through the scaffold to drilled anchors or ties, which need to be tested to 1.5 times the loads.

All the best

Chris Eng :idea:

many thanks for your help chris

Ties on hoists

Any hoist that needs ties should be tied to the structure as it is built. The load carried by the hoist should not be transferred to the scaffold, the ties are there to maintain the hoist in an upright stable condition.
When the hoist is ordered the hirer and hoist provider should determine the number, position and type of ties required. They should also ensure that the structure is capable of sustaining the imposed loadings. During erection the hoist ties should have a percentage checked with a pull out test for each type of material they are fixed to, block, concrete or brick etc.
If the client or the hoist erector wants to tie to the scaffold all he is doing is transferring the load through the scaffold to the structure. In this case the scaffold must be designed with the designer given details of the hoist tie arrangement by the erector.
If the client or hoist erector wants to tie to an existing scaffold then the scaffold will have to be redesigned to meet the new loadings and will probably require additional expensive work.
The hoist erectors should work with you so that the gates and run-offs are kosher, don't let them fix to the scaffold and never fix to the hoist.

Unbelievably, this has come up again. Before I get in to a big debate with the client, is there anyone on here who let's them attach their hoist to the scaffold?

You know some times you meet some genuinely descent people and you can empathise with the hurdles they face so you spend a lot of time trying to ensure you supply more solutions than problems. I all ready knew the answer, I just needed reminding. Hoist being tied to the building.;)

I complained to my contracts manager that a hoist was being tied to their 14 lift scaffold (which at the time didn't have sufficient ties for the scaffold alone, and the ones they had weren't tested yet) and he laid me off 2 days later. F.ucking prick that Clarke boy.:D:D:D

Drawing!! what drawing???

How would these guy's like to be as safety aware as they think they are?

F-sake man... unbelievable...sacked for saving lives.. sacked for being safe... what next?

Top Bottom