Offshore medical? (1 Viewer)

Danbrook

Reaction score
Hi everyone im new to the forum only just found it by mistake :)

Just have a question and was wondering if anyone could help me? I am after going working offshore and would like to know if the medical is strict when it comes to eye sight? Are you aloud to take test with glasses on (i do just about need them for driving).
Any feed back would be great thanks.

Dan

There should be know problem with you taking a offshore medical if you wear glasses there is planty of people offshore who wear glasses.

Like fletch says theres plenty of people out here who wear glasses they cant persecute you because you wear glasses. Im sure the questionare you fill in before your take the medical asks you if you need glasses for driving and the likes of. Anyway cheers you have reminded me i need to book mine lol.

Great thanks guys for the info.
Think ill go book my survival course now then and see how things go.

Cheers Dan :D

Danbrook, just chill an go for the medical there's some out here with 1 eye, some with jam jar bottoms, myself with contacts and reading glasses, drugs are the main attack be very careful with over the counter stuff, co-codamol, lem sips any kind of codeine based tablets with give a positive result, some conditions, hernias may stop you until repaired but if your a Scaff you should be fit enough, not much going on out here at the moment but keep trying.

no probs with glasses just a standard medical for offshore, will this be your first time offshore, who you gonna work with,,,? could give you some good contact numbers for scaffolding jobs if you like good luck mate

Yeah steelescaff will be my 1st time offshore been on bridges for a while now and really fancy the change. Have been ringing Cape and RBG but no joy atm. If you could PM me some detail of people to ring it would be a god send. Thanks for ya help mate

i also wear glasses an have been offshore in them it doesnt matter when it comes too the medcal or the work but if you need them all the time you may need safety glasses with you perscription in

steelescaff im currently trying too get myself back offshore an im struggling at the moment
i worked out there for about a year an now cant get out do you have any numbers that could help me out in anyway?

Mist Card

A couple of lads who I work with did their survival last year and have been trying to get offshore sending off CVs and ringing all the major players on an almost daily basis , without any success.

They are now being told that they also need to attend a two day MIST course. Its a new one me to so here's a brief out line from the OPITO website .

In 2007 the industry workforce via the “Boots on for Safety” campaign identified basic safety knowledge and awareness as a key concern throughout the UK offshore oil and gas industry. A Step Change in Safety Leadership Workgroup was formed to improve safety performance by applying best practice training at a consistent level across industry in safety critical areas.

The outcome has been the development and implementation of a Minimum Industry Safety Training (MIST) Standard to be applied by all across the UK offshore oil and gas sector – supporting industry’s target that by the end of 2010 the UK offshore workforce will have completed the MIST programme.

The new MIST Standard covers nine basic safety elements:

* Introduction to the Hazardous Offshore Environment
* Working Safely (including Safety Observations Systems)
* Risk Assessment
* Permit to Work (also called Control of Work)
* Platform Integrity
* Manual Handling
* Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH)
* Working at Height
* Mechanical Lifting

*Important Note: It is for employers, in conjunction with the relevant duty holder of the installation concerned, to determine which programme is most appropriate to their employees. Any doubt regarding the prior experience of employees should indicate that they should successfully complete the new entrant course (either at an approved external establishment or as an in-house approved programme). A basic rule of thumb is that from April 1st 2009, anyone requiring a BOSIET, or has a BOSIET but hasn't yet been offshore, is advised to successfully attend a 2-day 'New Entrant' course or approved in-house alternative.

Perhaps some of the Forum Members who work offshore could tells us how MIST scheme is being implemented on the installations.

offshore works

podger.. i was working offshore last year with rbg an didnt do this MIST training.. it must be new.. i wonder do you have to do it yourself or do the company you start with have to put you through it??.. i have been wanting to get back offshore this year without much success so far...genie

Well podge your name rings a bell, never heard of MIST what does it stand for.......?

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

sorry podger my nick name is steely done my last few trips in november for R.B.G on the claymore not a bad platform but nothing happening since, do you know anything about this job on oilandgaspeople.com, they need 15 scaffs for some power station in europe says digs payed plenty over time and 24 quid a hour I applied but not received a reply yet.

Well podge your name rings a bell, never heard of MIST what does it stand for.......?

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

sorry podger my nick name is steely done my last few trips in november for R.B.G on the claymore not a bad platform but nothing happening since, do you know anything about this job on oilandgaspeople.com, they need 15 scaffs for some power station in europe says digs payed plenty over time and 24 quid a hour I applied but not received a reply yet.

MIST Minimum Industry Safety Training.
as for the Euro power station work haven't herd anything but I'm sure there will be plent of applicants .

Mist

Alreet lads, yep mist is ongoing now, if you are employed by somebody offshore at the moment you will have to do a computer based training (cbt) course! this may be done at worksite or training establishment or where ever the company decides, there has to be an invigalator to oversee your not cheating:D this takes approx 4 hrs to complete and that is knowing a lot of sh.. over the years! New starts offshore will have to do full mist training a 2 or 3 day course at training centre i.e Petrofac or Nutec, costs I am not sure about but figures have been banded around on the forum, don't worry about the mist training it gives you a background to other trades etc and helps get a fresh set of eyes looking for dangers, it is fairly easy to complete as long as you take your time and think about the questions (all in the course as you go along) Scootay:)

yeh barry will give you some numbers mate no probs but bare in mind i cant myself get back
offshore and i worked with R.B.G FOR OVER 10 YEARS before they let me go november 2009

good luck will pm you some contacts

Cost of MIST

I think my work mates have been quoted £300 for a two day mist course , with the survival training and medical costs as well its proving to be an expensive do and Scaffs with the all important "offshore experience " looking for a start it may not be a wise move to fork out for the relevant offshore training at this present time :sad:

alright podger,
do know any companys doin the mist trainin?
been tryin to get offshore for 18 months now but gettin nowhere:mad:

gonna do my confined space course and safety passport soon so may as well look into mist to......

thanks bud, sean

alright podger,
do know any companys doin the mist trainin?
been tryin to get offshore for 18 months now but gettin nowhere:mad:

gonna do my confined space course and safety passport soon so may as well look into mist to......

thanks bud, sean[/QUOTE

Hi Mate , Petans - Professional Safety and Offshore Survival Training in Norwich is where my pals did their survival and I'm pretty sure they do the MIST to .

Good luck in your pursuit of the elusive "first trip"

Regards Podger

Good luck shaun.

The fact that your willing to finance all these courses yourself shows your self motivation be patient and you will get offshore don,t give up I wish you all the best in the future.

regards graham

thanks graham,
got a while left on my bosiet so will keep tryin till that runs out.

if aint got off in that time i dont think i ever will!! hahaha

Top Bottom