Osbaldwick-based Contract Services (Yorkshire) Limited hit by downturn (1 Viewer)

TEESSIDE SCAFFOLDER

Reaction score
Osbaldwick-based Contract Services (Yorkshire) Limited hit by downturn
10:32am Saturday 19th March 2011

Print Email Share Comments(1) By Julie Hayes »
Business reporter

A SCAFFOLDING firm hit by the decline in the construction industry has said it will continue to trade for as long as possible.

Osbaldwick-based Contract Services (Yorkshire) Limited (CSL), which has employed people in York for almost 40 years, is still taking on new business and will continue to trade for as long as it can, said founder Leslie Cullum.

But he said the economic situation and the decline in the construction industry meant that it was not worthwhile carrying the business on in the long term.

He said: “The result is that after 38 years, we are closing the business down in a controlled manner over the next three to four months and maybe longer.

“During that time every contract will be completed and everyone has been issued with redundancy notices. We will endeavour to extend those notices for as long as we find it viable to. We are still looking for business to keep these people employed as long as possible.”

The business, which employs 40 to 50 people, has provided scaffolding for small projects as well as high-profile work for commercial, industrial and heritage organisations, including York Minster’s East Window and the Sadlers Wells Theatre in London.

Mr Cullum said: “We have got some people who have been here for 30 years and the company has been at the forefront of the industry.

“We have given a lot of people a lot of jobs over the years and it’s very sad on my part that we find ourselves in this situation, but it’s the direct result of the economic situation.”

Dont know the company, but its a shame that it has to close down after nearly 40 years. At least the owner seems to have his workers in mind and is doing his best to keep them on for as long as possible. Hope it goes all right for him and the lads can find other work.

Gaffer seems a decent sort of chap, instead of the normal Slash & Burn scenario, all the best for the future lads, hope things will improve .Have a sitdown with the boys, would a employee based buyout not help, or is it too far down the road for that my friend ?

CSL is a good honest scaffold company in York, I am sorry to hear this news I hope the employees fined new employment if the worst comes to the worst.

Worked for them about 30 year ago, a very decent company as I remember
seems that the values of days gone bye are still alive and being practised within this company.
It is a sad day when the good guys cannot stay trading at a profit

Top Bottom