Scaffolding question tagging jobs? (1 Viewer)

E

essex

With the new regualtions of TG20.08 and SG4.10 in action can a competent scaffolder or advanced scaffolder sign the scaff tag?

If so what is the point in doing a inspection or advanced inspection course?

Cost me over £375

I still don't know pal, its as clear as mud, i think the only time we will truly find out is when some poor bugger has signed a job off and something goes terribly wrong and it ends up in court.
I hope i'm wrong

Q: Who is competent to inspect a scaffold?

Legislation specifies that anyone carrying out an inspection must be competent to do so. To be competent that person must have the necessary training, knowledge and experience.

As a minimum the NASC would recommend:

a) A CISRS Scaffolder cardholder would be deemed competent to inspect the scaffold structures that are covered in the CISRS Part 1 & Part 2 courses provided their employer can demonstrate they have the necessary knowledge and experience.

b) A CISRS Advanced Scaffolder cardholder would be deemed competent to inspect the scaffold structures that are covered in the CISRS Part 1, Part 2 & Advanced courses provided their employer can demonstrate they have the necessary knowledge and experience.

The contents and overall objectives of the CISRS courses can be found in the CAP 609 General Information Booklet Appendix A-C page 26-30. CISRS - the industry recognised scaffold training scheme

c) A CISRS Scaffolding Supervisor cardholder would be deemed competent to inspect the basic scaffold structures that are covered in the CISRS Part 1 and Part 2 courses provided their employer can demonstrate they have the necessary knowledge and experience. If they also hold an Advanced Scaffolders card, then they would be deemed competent to inspect advanced structures.

d) A person who has been on a Basic Scaffold Inspection Course * (min. two days) would be deemed competent to inspect a basic scaffold structure provided their employer can demonstrate they have the necessary knowledge and experience and they have passed the knowledge test at the end of the course.

This course is suitable for: Management/Supervision who are responsible for inspecting scaffolds and completing reports in accordance with the Work at Height Regulations 2005.

Note: If candidates who have attended the Basic Course want to inspect more complex scaffolds, then they will need to complete the Advanced Course after they have gained sufficient experience inspecting Basic Scaffolds on a regular basis.

e) A person who has been on an Advanced Scaffold Inspection Course * (min. two days) would be deemed competent to inspect more complex scaffold structures provided their employer can demonstrate they have the necessary knowledge and experience and they have passed the knowledge test at the end of the course.

This course is suitable for: Experienced Scaffold Inspectors, Management/Supervision who are responsible for inspecting, commissioning and handing over scaffolds, and completing reports in accordance with the Work at Height Regulations 2005.

f) Persons who are required to carry out inspections of System Scaffolds must, in addition to the basic scaffold inspection course, attend an approved product training course for the specific system scaffold required and have their card endorsed with the product selected.

i m only part 2 and always do the tags .

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

it used to be the neatest writer like but im the only one that can write at all

i m only part 2 and always do the tags .

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

it used to be the neatest writer like but im the only one that can write at all

Like it....:nuts::nuts:

If you sign a Scaff tag you are stating that the scaffold is complete and :sad2:safe to work on. If anything goes wrong its down to you mate. Could be big trouble

If you have the competence and authority to sign the tag, you can also pull it if you see something wrong.

to be honest, the best way is to get someone else to tag the job, because to be honest, if its your own then your not gonna ever see owt wrong with it, ive done the courses, h +s , the lot and its best to have someone else check it,( its not worth the extra 10 a day) for ya firm to turn theire back on you. when the s++T hits the fan........ your on your own fella. h+s means guilty till proven innocent.

If you're ticket deems you competent to put the job up, then there's something not right if you're not confident enough to sign the tag.

I tag my own jobs... if you put them up right, theres no problem..

Anybody can pull a tag if they think something is wrong with the scaffold not just a scaff, and also a tag is like an m.o.t. only good for the time its signed, the tagman can't be responsible after that, any idiot could do anything after that.

Always taged my own because as with everthing else that is writen down in the "rules"lol,its a very grey area and always will be as to who is "competent"

If you lack confidence theres a doubt about your competency. This gets back to the debate about issuing tickets.

Pulling Scaff Tags

You're dead right mate. I am an advanced scaffold inspector. Last week i pulled a tag on a scaffold in the boiler house at Royal Free Hospital in London because the boards had warped due to excessive heat. I will replace it when the boards are changed

Are you an advanced scaffolder aswell mate ?

Yes mate i am an advanced scaffolder. I have been doing it now for 40 years. I am 60 and still throwing it up.

Top Bottom