claiming back for training

grafter

Reaction score
hello there was wandering if you can help me i paid for part 1 £850 in 2008
and then in 2009 paid £950 for part 2 and in 2010 paid £365 for final assessment.
can i claim back any of this now have invoices and receipts

just to let you know i was employed when paid for:

part 1 £850
part 2 £950

and self employed when i paid for:

final assessment £365

Does it matter if i was employed or not and how much could i claim back
if you could let me know would be grateful.

you used to get an attendance grant from the CITB and something for NVQ achievement as Simian a SF sponsor and they should know exactly what if any your entitled to

I'd say Bettertax would be the person to ask, personally.

hello there was wandering if you can help me i paid for part 1 £850 in 2008
and then in 2009 paid £950 for part 2 and in 2010 paid £365 for final assessment.
can i claim back any of this now have invoices and receipts

just to let you know i was employed when paid for:

part 1 £850
part 2 £950

and self employed when i paid for:

final assessment £365

Does it matter if i was employed or not and how much could i claim back
if you could let me know would be grateful.
Hi Grafter,

The quick answer is Yes - you can certainly claim it as an expense against your income whether you're PAYE or Self employed.
There are however caveats, in that you cannot claim for training where it is a skill being learned that is not you're 'listed trade'... I've not made that very clear, but yes you can claim.:)

regards,

* Thread Hijack *
I'm doing a PTS course right now. Is that something I'd be able to claim back next year?

HI Bundy,

Yes you can definately claim for it!:noworry:
however (just to avoid confusion), you can't "claim it back" - but you claim for it - as an expense against your income.
HTH, regards
roger

is there any chance i can claim back my advanced course (£960) my advanced assessment (£480) and my survival, mist and medical (£1065)?

Not sure mate...
Are you CIS (self employed)?

Unless your lucky to get a Government grant, i dont think you can, tbh.
I paid for all my courses myself, but never got the chance to claim it back, only through my end of year tax returns.

Might be worth speaking to BetterTax or Simian, they might know better then me. :)

Hello ksummersgill,

As has been said in this thread, the short answer is that you can claim training courses as an expense against your tax and as Jason says, it would be something that gets sorted out at the end of the tax year when you either do a CIS return or a PAYE tax claim.

You can also claim for your travel getting to and from said courses.

If you need any clarification, just give us a call.

Top Bottom