Complaints over safety of scaffolding in Coltness

SF Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
RESIDENTS in Coltness, Wishaw, have raised concerns after what they feared was “unsafe” scaffolding had been erected around a block of flats.

The householders contacted the Wishaw Press regarding the scaffolding around a block in Coldstream Crescent at the weekend.

They claim the scaffolding poses a potential risk to children as it is easy for them to climb up.

They say the bottom rung is just two feet off the ground.

However, council bosses say the scaffolding complied with Health and Safety rules.

It was due to be taken down yesterday (Tuesday) as we went to press.
A resident, who did not wish to be named, said: “Last September a five-year-old boy was seriously injured after falling from similar scaffolding on another block nearby.

“He fractured his skull and also broke his wrist.

“I think this was because the scaffolding – like the latest set to be put up – was far too easy to access.

“I believe that the bottom rung should be at least six feet off the ground and accessible only with ladders and by the people who should be carrying out work.

“That way children – who through natural curiosity are drawn to construction sites – would be unable to climb up the scaffold and potential accidents would be avoided.”

The resident continued: “On the previous occasion the scaffold was erected for quite some time before any work was carried out.

“This latest lot was put up on Saturday and by late Monday afternoon I hadn’t witnessed anyone carrying out any work there.

“Hopefully, the work will be completed and the scaffolding taken away promptly.

“The last thing we want to see is another youngster getting seriously injured.”
A spokesperson for North Lanarkshire Council said: “The scaffolding was put up on Sunday and the work will be completed and the scaffolding removed by Tuesday (yesterday) afternoon.

“As with all other scaffolding work, it was erected in accordance with Health and Safety guidelines.”

Source: Wishaw Press

This doesn't stop kids climbing out of the windows and onto the scaffolding, however...

Last edited:
I have had similar problems before ( although no one was hurt) i assume there was a reason a blocking lift was put in as we always put an 8 foot lift in for this very reason sad that a child was hurt because children are curios and will play on scaffolds :(

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

Phil we had a bloke fall of a 40 foot tower in Dulwich a few years ago he was lucky to survive , guy was drunk and thought it would be funny to get on the scaffold from a balcony , we got asked by HSE what we could do to prevent this in the future , i just shook my head and walked away

How was a five year old boy allowed to get onto the scaffolding, maybe the parents should start taking some resposibility for their kids

yes... parents should keep an eye on their kids.. 5 yrs old.. how was he allowed out at that age.. scrubbers. for parents I think..

Trouble is there are a lot of teenage parents who dont give a fu ck what there kids do as long as they dont interfere with there drinking or drug taking , i have seen 10 year olds roaming the streets at 12 o clock at night because there parents dont give a fu ck

Top Bottom