Pub glassing attacker jailed for almost four years (1 Viewer)

SF Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
A Pembroke man who carried out a violent assault which left his victim scarred for life and suffering panic attacks, has been jailed for almost four years.

Christian Hughes glassed, punched and kicked victim Robert Saunders until his eyelid became completely detached. He needed operations to repair ruined eye ducts and will suffer a weeping left eye for life.

Hughes, aged 32, of Wiston Street, admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent. He was jailed for three years and four months and an additional six months for breaching a suspended sentence.

Swansea crown court heard how both men had been in the Castle pub in Pembroke on October 9th last year when there was an altercation between Mr Saunders’ wife and another customer.

Later, Hughes went to the toilets and found Mr Saunders and the customer arguing. Hughes took the other man’s side and threatened Mr Saunders.

As they walked out Hughes, a scaffolder, pushed a beer glass into Mr Saunders’ face. Then he punched and kicked him before quickly leaving.

But the attack had been caught on CCTV and the footage was played to judge Christopher Vosper.

In a victim impact statement, Mr Saunders told how the assault had changed his life.

He said he woke up in Singleton Hospital, Swansea, not knowing where he was or what had happened. He suffered serious facial injuries and will be scarred for life.

“I was absolutely devastated and as time has gone by it has got worse,” said Mr Saunders.

“I have panic attacks and I don’t go out because I don’t want people to see me.”

Mr Saunders has not worked since the assault, despite having a well paid job.

“I feel a changed person,” he added.

The court heard that Hughes had previous convictions for violence and a probation officer had assessed the chances of him re-offending as “medium to high”.

Hughes’ barrister, Dyfed Thomas, described the attack as “a classic case of a major loss of temper.”

Judge Vosper said Hughes had maintained a not guilty plea at first on the basis that he had not realised he had been holding a glass.

However, that claim disappeared, added the judge, after Mr Saunders had told how he had felt the glass being twisted into his face after the initial impact.

Source: Western Telegraph

sounds like a south london scaffolder

worked all over the place,got to say that pembroke docks one of the hardest towns ive been in,mental little place with some mental people,as we know scaffs are the madest of them all

Nothing to be proud of there, take the glass out of his hand , see how hard he is then.

He sounds like a bully to me i bet the fella he glassed was no match for him , like brandy says take the glass out of his hand and see how tough he is , i bet he is a coked up insecure mug with no self control that no one can stand the sight of, 4 years he should of got 10 for a savage unprovoked attack like that.

Agree with Phillo, 4 year not enough for scum like him, the innocent victims of those scumbags have to live their lives with the physical and mental scars for the rest of their lives and like minded idiots think he's a hardman,

a 40 year old man got attacked near my house a couple of years ago on his way home from the pub ,the man never said a word to the 4 lads that attacked him with broken bottles and a knife cut him to pieces the man is so fuc ked up know he wont go out of his house these l cu nts need serious prison.i aint no angel like most scaffolders i have had my fair share of tear ups but what happened to man to man in the pub carpark , that is one thing i like about pikeys they will have a straightener all day long.

there is this myth that everbody glasses each other in pubs in glasgow rubbish total rubbish,i have seen it but not on the scale people talk bout it.they tell the tales as if they are proud of these insurmountable feats of bravery COWARDS i call them,why dont they fcuk off and let the decent people have a good time.

I bet the local rag headline was Scaffolder attacks indefenceable man, not local scumbag lowlife who cound'nt fight sleep,a real big man with a glass or weapon. Wan*ker hope he gets gang rap*ed in the Big House

Top Bottom