Scaffolder falls through grating (1 Viewer)

C

ChrisEng

Just saw this on safety news, even though the accident happend in 2008, it has just been concluded in the courts.

Ocean Princess rig fall death 'a tragic accident'
Tain Sheriff Court.

A workman's death in a fall from an oil rig docked at Invergordon was a tragic accident, according to a sheriff.

Scaffolder Lewis MacDonald, 35, from Alness, was working on the Ocean Princess when he died in November 2008.

He fell 39m (130ft) after stepping on to corroded grating, despite a barrier being put in place to deter contractors from crossing, an inquiry held at Tain Sheriff Court heard last year.

Sheriff David Sutherland said his death was "simply a tragic accident".

The Ocean Princess was at berthed at Invergordon's Queen's Docks for refurbishment and maintenance work.
'Pay tribute'

In his determination, Sheriff Sutherland said Mr MacDonald chose to climb the barrier and cross the unsafe area, rather than walk round it.

A foreman scaffolder told the fatal accident inquiry at Tain Sheriff Court that Mr MacDonald, an experienced and skilled worker, had believed the grating to be safe.

Sheriff Sutherland said: "In my opinion this was simply a tragic accident occasioned by a manoeuvre of the deceased which is unexplained.

"What this does, however, reinforce is the dangers experienced by people working on oil rigs, both in the North Sea and in maintenance at the quay side."

He said safety procedures were put in place to minimise accidents, but legislation could not prevent an unforeseen incident.

Sheriff Sutherland added: "I would also like to pay tribute to the deceased, Mr Lewis MacDonald, and offer the court's condolences to his family."

Remember the incident well. I have family living in both Invergordon and Alness and they knew Lewis well. An absolutely tragic accident that should have been avoided.

Top Bottom