CSCS Smart Cards

simian

Reaction score
Tube project the first to insist on CSCS smartcards
09 February 2011

The Tottenham Court Road underground station upgrade project in central London has become the first construction site to insist on the new CSCS smartcards for all workers.

The joint-venture contractors on the £250m project, VINCI and Bam Nuttall, now require the 150 workers currently on the site (rising to 350 by April) to hold the new cards, which store all the workers’ information in relation to training and qualifications. The cards can be quickly checked using a handheld card reader, or via the user’s own computerised system.

CSCS says the smartcards will be “virtually impossible” to forge and can interact with other user-company systems, such as HR, finance, training and occupational health so that all holder data is quickly and easily accessible and verifiable.

Speaking at an event at Tottenham Court Road yesterday (8 February), CSCS chief executive, Brian Adams, said the smartcard is a positive step forward in ensuring onsite safety and security.

He added: “VINCI and Bam Nuttall at Tottenham Court Road is the first site to take the smartcard on board. In these challenging times it is good to see that clients and contractors are paying attention to skills and training. I hope other contractors will see what efficiencies and economies it can bring, and also take it on board.”

Jez Haskins, project director for VINCI/Bam Nuttall, commented: “We are proud to be involved in this project and pleased the site has been chosen to lead on the CSCS smartcard. We always strive to get a fully qualified workforce and to have evidence of those qualifications. We see the card as supporting the exchange of best practice, as workers can take their training from site to site.”

On the client side, London Underground’s project manager for the site, Ralph Freeston, said: “LUL has its own safety systems, and its own safety card system for working on the railway, but a lot of the Tottenham Court Road work doesn’t involve working on the tracks – that is why we use CSCS for work that is physically separate from the railway. The whole LUL team, including admin personnel, carry one.”

Construction union UCATT welcomed the development of the card and expressed its total support for the scheme. A spokesperson told SHP: “The card is a further step forward in ensuring the target of having a 100 per cent-carded, 100 per cent-competent workforce in construction. In health and safety terms it is all linked to competency. It ensures workers are undertaking jobs that they are qualified to do. To have a safe workforce they have to be properly trained and properly skilled.”

I know, it's never ending. What's wrong with checking the CITB Data base?

funny enough i have just renewed my Advanced Card and it was £26.50, changed from Jan 1st

IF

Ok Ian, how much is the new smart one going to sting the boy's?

i am not sure but i think mine may have the smartcard, not had it delivered yet?

i am not sure but i think mine may have the smartcard, not had it delivered yet?

You would like to think it did wouldnt you!! As its now being used on at least one site all new cards should be smartcards as you may have to work on this site....even if there is only one running it at the moment. Will be your luck Simian that you get sent to this particular site and your new card isnt smart enabled :sick:

Ian, what info will be displayed on the cards? and will it be on the chip only or will it be displayed on the card similar to a PTS card.
will it all have to be CISRS for us? ie, scaffold ins etc
up to date quals only?
out of date quals/training? stihl saw,hilti ties etc

As i would imagine a lot of the lads have a lot of training, however they all have different expiry dates.
Also what about quals such as NEBOSH etc which don't have expiry dates as such,
Sorry for all the questions but this is the first i have heard, cheers

wonder how long it would be before a new card came out yawn yawn robbing barstards

cscs no sorry sir
ccnsg no sorry sir
cscs smart card that will do nicely sir untill we bring a new one out in 3 years
national grid eusr besc competent card gone from valid 3 years to 1 year and has gone from 145.00 to 500 t0 600 depending on venue every ones joining the band wagon sccr 10 quid somethings wrong you wana put your prices up ragscaff ohh sorry forgot its not out to make a profit like the rest of the indusry!!!!

Top Bottom