Erect and Dismantle Access Platforms....Eh? (1 Viewer)

Toothless_Baz

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new here and I have a question.....

I have a Certficate from a few years ago that is still valid AFAIK and it is an "Erect and Dismantle Access Platforms", what does this allow me to erect exactly?

Or does this allow me to unfold a decorators platform and stand on it to change a light bulb?

Many thanks.

To be honest, I haven't got the clearest memory of it, I know I had to go through all the scaffold regs, guard rail heights, lift heights etc

I am self employed and was curious to know if I would be able to put up some basic Cuplock scaffolding that would be legal for my friend to go on and work on.

He did a day course on Monday (can't remember the details exactly) that allows him to inspect if a scaffold is safe but it has to be put up by somebody with the correct certificate / s.

Absolute nonsence really if it is going to be inspected anyway.

welcome mate ................ sounds like a kellogs cornflake ticket

welcome baz slash the cuplock up lad all the best if you have any probs phone your nearest harsco(sgb) they will send a squad round to effect the erection for you.

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

ps i think you get one of them tickets when you purchase an oyster card good luck lad.

Bit scary that you dont know what you done to get it mate , think maybe you leave the scaffolding to a scaffolder

Bit scary that you dont know what you done to get it mate , think maybe you leave the scaffolding to a scaffolder

Why is it a bit scary? If I can find some of the pictures that I have took of some of the hired scaffold that we have had erected for us recently I will post them up.
It is quite regular that we have to call back the scaffolders to come and put something right that they have bodged.

I have been erecting scaffold for myself for years and know whether it is erected safely or not and I am just trying to find out if I am covered to use Cuplock for a basic scaffold or not or whether I should pursue the appropriate certification. And as I have a certificate from City and Guilds that says I can "Erect and Dismantle Access Platforms" I thought I may as well see if it applies.

Thats probably because your using a cowboy scaffold company if they keep getting it wrong if you have erected that much scaffold why dont you erect it yourself and be quids in.

Thats probably because your using a cowboy scaffold company if they keep getting it wrong if you have erected that much scaffold why dont you erect it yourself and be quids in.

I am just simply saying that I can put up a scaffold that is safe and up to standard, I don't need anything more than a 'basic' scaffold but I want to be sure that I am covered if someone else goes on it. Its a CITB certificate, if its worth f**k all then its worth f**k all, might as well check first though.

The only reason why we have hired Scaffold firms in the last few years is to scaffold a whole house as the amount required is more than we can get in an Ifor Williams trailor :embarrest:.

This is the information about the course I have managed to find:

Qualification Unit
Cskills Awards L2 NVQ Certificate in Construction Operations - General Construction
QUE857

Unit Ref QCF250J
Title Erecting and Dismantling Access/Working Platforms in the Workplace
Level 2
Credit Value 8
Learning outcomes
The learner will be able to: Assessment criteria
The learner can:
1 Interpret the given information relating to the work and resources when erecting and dismantling access/working platforms. 1.1 Interpret and extract information from specifications, method statements, risk assessments and manufacturers' information.

1.2 Comply with information and/or instructions derived from risk assessments and method statement.

1.3 State the organisational procedures developed to report and rectify inappropriate information and unsuitable resources and how they are implemented.

1.4 Describe different types of information, their source and how they are interpreted in relation to:
- specifications, current legislation, method statements, risk assessments and manufacturers' information.

2 Know how to comply with relevant legislation and official guidance when erecting and dismantling access/working platforms. 2.1 Describe their responsibilities under current legislation and official guidance whilst working:
- in the workplace, at height, in confined areas, with tools and equipment, with movement/storage of materials and by manual handling.

2.2 Describe the organisational security procedures for tools, equipment and personal belongings in relation to site, workplace, company and operative.

2.3 State what the accident reporting procedures are and who is responsible for making reports.

3 Maintain safe working practices when erecting and dismantling access/working platforms. 3.1 Use personal protective equipment (PPE) and access equipment safely to carry out the activity in accordance with legislation and organisational requirements when erecting and dismantling access/working platforms.

3.2 Explain why, when and how personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used, relating to erecting and dismantling access/working platforms, and the types, purpose and limitations of each type.

3.3 State how emergencies should be responded to in accordance with organisational authorisation and personal skills when involved with fires, spillages, injuries and other task-related hazards.

4 Select the required quantity and quality of resources for the methods of work to erect and dismantle access/working platforms. 4.1 Describe the characteristics, quality, uses, limitations and defects associated with the resources in relation to:
- ladders/crawler boards
- stepladders/platform steps
- trestles
- proprietary staging/podiums
- proprietary towers
- mobile scaffold towers
- protection equipment and notices
- tools and ancillary equipment.

4.2 Select resources associated with own work in relation to materials, components, tools and equipment.

4.3 State how the resources should be used correctly, how problems associated with the resources are reported and how the organisational procedures are used.

4.4 Outline potential hazards associated with the resources and method of work.

4.5 Describe how to calculate quantity of equipment required associated with the method/procedure to erect and dismantle access equipment/working platforms.

5 Minimise the risk of damage to the work and surrounding area when erecting and dismantling access/working platforms. 5.1 Protect the work and its surrounding area from damage.

5.2 Minimise damage and maintain a clean work space.

5.3 Describe how to protect work from damage and the purpose of protection in relation to general workplace activities, other occupations and adverse weather conditions.

5.4 Dispose of waste in accordance with legislation.

5.5 State why the disposal of waste should be carried out in relation to the work.

6 Complete the work within the allocated time when erecting and dismantling access/working platforms. 6.1 Demonstrate completion of the work within the allocated time.

6.2 State the purpose of the work programme and explain why deadlines should be kept in relation to:
- organisational procedures for reporting circumstances which will affect the work programme.

7 Comply with the given contract information to erect and dismantle access/ working platforms to the required specification. 7.1 Demonstrate the following work skills when erecting and dismantling access/working platforms:
- moving, positioning/erecting, securing, checking, dismantling and removing.

7.2 Erect, dismantle and store two of the following access equipment to given access regulations:
- ladders/crawler boards
- stepladders/platform steps
- proprietary towers
- trestle platforms
- mobile scaffold towers
- proprietary staging/podiums.

7.3 Describe how to apply safe work practices, follow procedures, report problems and establish the authority needed to rectify them, to:
- provide protection to the work area
- establish a base for equipment
- erect proprietary access equipment to manufacturer's instructions suitable for the work
- erect non-proprietary access equipment suitable for the work
- place protective screens and notices
- check/monitor equipment during the period of use
- dismantle and store access equipment
- use tools and equipment
- work at height.

7.4 Safely use and store materials, hand tools and ancillary equipment.

7.5 State the needs of other occupations and how to communicate within a team when erecting and dismantling access/working platforms.

7.6 Describe how to maintain the tools and equipment used when erecting and dismantling access/working platforms.

Additional information about this unit
Purpose and aim of unit The aim of this unit is to illustrate the skills, knowledge and understanding required to confirm competence in erecting and dismantling access/working platforms in the workplace within the relevant sector of industry.

Unit expiry date 31/10/2014
Details of the relationship between the unit and relevant national occupational standards or other professional standards or curricula (if appropriate) This unit is based on the National Occupational Standard 'Erect and Dismantle Access/Working Platforms' (VR 250)

Assessment requirements or guidance specified by a sector or regulatory body (if appropriate) This unit must be assessed in a work environment and in accordance with:
- the Additional Requirements for Qualifications using the title NVQ in QCF
- the ConstructionSkills 'Consolidated Assessment Strategy for Construction and the Built Environment - Craft, Supervisory, Technical, Managerial and Professional Units and Qualifications with NVQ in the Qualification and Credit Framework (QCF) title and SVQs.

Assessors for this unit must use a combination of the following assessment methods:
- observation of normal work activities within the workplace that clearly confirms the required skills
- questioning the learner on knowledge criteria that clearly confirms the required understanding
- review other forms of evidence that can clearly confirm industry required skills, knowledge and understanding.

Assessors for this unit must have verifiable, current industry experience and a sufficient depth of occupational expertise and knowledge of erecting and dismantling access/working platforms to be effective and reliable when confirming a learner's competence.

Workplace evidence of skills cannot be simulated.

This unit must be assessed against the following endorsements:
- Own occupational area of work
Plus two or more of the following:
- Ladders/crawler boards
- Step ladders/platform steps
- Proprietary towers
- Trestle platforms
- Mobile scaffold towers
- Proprietary staging/podiums

Support for the unit from a sector skills council or other appropriate body (if required) ConstructionSkills
Location of the unit within the subject/sector classification system 05.2 Building and Construction

Name of the organisation submitting the unit ConstructionSkills
Availability for use Shared unit
Unit available from 01/02/2010
Unit review date 30/04/2011
Credit value 8
Unit guided learning hours 27

I am just simply saying that I can put up a scaffold that is safe and up to standard, I don't need anything more than a 'basic' scaffold but I want to be sure that I am covered if someone else goes on it. Its a CITB certificate, if its worth f**k all then its worth f**k all, might as well check first though.

The only reason why we have hired Scaffold firms in the last few years is to scaffold a whole house as the amount required is more than we can get in an Ifor Williams trailor :embarrest:.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:: sorry mate i got this picture in my head now of a volvo estate pulling a load of cuplock , to be serious i dont think you should be putting men to work on uninsured scaffolds as you would have a hard time explaining it to a judge if something went wrong there are loads of very good small companys around who would do all your work at a fair price , if youask on here i feel certain you would find one

Baz, You can nearly take it as gospel that the cert you have is out of date. The older ones of us on here had tickets supposedly for life, thats all changed now, plus regulations have changed since you were issued with a cert. You would'nt be covered, sorry to say you would'nt be classed as a competent person under the regulations.

To be honest, I haven't got the clearest memory of it, I know I had to go through all the scaffold regs, guard rail heights, lift heights etc

I am self employed and was curious to know if I would be able to put up some basic Cuplock scaffolding that would be legal for my friend to go on and work on.

He did a day course on Monday (can't remember the details exactly) that allows him to inspect if a scaffold is safe but it has to be put up by somebody with the correct certificate / s.

Absolute nonsence really if it is going to be inspected anyway.
Listen mate, get your arse on a two day conversion course for Cuplok and you can erect/strike basic towers etc to a height of a few metres depending on base dimensions. It don't make you a scaff by any means lol, that's why the lads are getting a bit iffy with ya. Any higher than a couple of lifts and you need to start tying in structures or increasing base dimensions and all that really complicated stuff about standard ties being able to resist 6.1 kN on the pull test after testing 5% and all that other pish.

Another interesting file pulled from the archives. I wonder if Toothless_baz is still out there or whether he hung up his tools for a more leisurely pursuit. Anyone know?

You should start a where are they now thread. :laugh:

That would bring back the Friday night fight night. :idea:

Top Bottom