Scaffold firm boss guilty (2 Viewers)

SF Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
A COMPANY director admitted four offences in relation to his scaffolding company that has been wound up.

Alan Emery, 51, pleaded guilty to two allegations of fraudulently withdrawing vehicles in anticipation of the winding up of A&A Scaffolding and one each of using a prohibited company name and one of making material omissions in a statement.

Emery, of Vermont Road, Southampton, will be sentenced at the city crown court on February 11.

Keely Harvey, defending, said Emery had essentially buried his head in the sand and ignored phone calls and messages from the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills.

Source: Daily Echo

A COMPANY director admitted four offences in relation to his scaffolding company that has been wound up.

Alan Emery, 51, pleaded guilty to two allegations of fraudulently withdrawing vehicles in anticipation of the winding up of A&A Scaffolding and one each of using a prohibited company name and one of making material omissions in a statement.

Emery, of Vermont Road, Southampton, will be sentenced at the city crown court on February 11.

Keely Harvey, defending, said Emery had essentially buried his head in the sand and ignored phone calls and messages from the Department of Business, Innovation and Skills.

Source: Daily Echo

Contrary to popular belief, Ostriches do NOT bury their heads in sand.

It's a myth, apparently....

Christ I'm bored! Maybe I should do some work?

I think it's about time this was used to protect creditors. I have seen too many skip away with a trail of debt only to rise again using assets from the old firm which should have been sold of to pay the bad debt. Sad when any firm goes down but don't take the rest of us with you.

Alan Emery has gone bust three times in as many years and the colour of his stock is just like a rainbow. He didnt know what a operators licence was for his HGV's, didnt pay his men for months. drove down prices in the area,caught drink driving while banned for drink driving and is generally not a good egg.
We are sure one of our ex employees had sold some of our kit to him illegally so we took it back.
If you ever come across him beware.

It is sad when a Company goes out of business for genuine reasons such as cash flow, adverse trading conditions or just hard times which many are facing currently. However, when owners of companies deliberately put their Company into receivership and start up trading the next day from the same premises with the same stock, computers, and telephone numbers etc. this seems something that our law should prevent happening but frequently does not.

A well-known Midlands based Supply Company to the scaffolding industry ceased trading in the spring of last year leaving debts of around £100,000 and then started trading the next day in exactly the same line of business, from the same premises but with a subtle change of Company name. Several members of this Forum are still owed substantial amounts of money from the old Company and its selfish owner and it would seem that the Law and the Government's Official Receiver's Office are slow to act, even though there is evidence that this fraudulent practice has been implemented several times previously over a number of years by this same individual.

Last edited:
I am sure many small firms have had cash flow problems in the past and struggled through.
this guy deliberately hired / purchased gear and put it on jobs at less than cost for the labour to erect / dismantle the scaffold let alone pay for the gear.
He owed scaffolders money for months and was in hiding from a couple of trade companies.
It is alleged that his step daughter a police woman actually shopped him for the first drink driving offence.

Top Bottom