Ledger Bracing (Putlog Scaffold)

Steve_C

Reaction score
I have a query regards ledger bracing on a typical box type house, my understanding is that every other standard should be ledger braced, this includes independant and putlog. Is this correct now, or was there some deviation in the old standard?

Steve

Thanks for the prompt reply, I was questioned about it, seem to recall some CITB book (old) saying that ledger bracing was advisable? I have just been checking out TG:20 and page 32 volume 1 indicates in 4.6 that:

To ensure the stability of the is maintained, it is recommended that
a)
b)
c) Ledger braces, connecting the bridle tube to the foot tie, should be installed at every second standard.

Then at the end of the section begining (Longditudal bracing) the following line is quoted at the end of the paragraph "ledger bracing is not required in the finishing structure"

Could someone please clarify further, as I am now confused.

Thanks
Steve

Last edited:
I ain't done many puddy jobs for a while but I thought 1st lift had to be underslung with ledger braced every other standard as norm then other lifts no braces. I never done one with more than 3or 4 lifts tho.

i was on a putlog job not long ago . a taylor wimpey job in boldon ,sunderland way .i thought it was finished with now but its not . iv seen a few round my area recently.the reason most sites stopped using it was you had to work off a ladder to fill the holes or drop the scaffold one lift at a time reboarding each lift for the sh!thouse brickies to patch up which is obviously expensive . bellway homes have a big site in penshaw near where i live which is all put log but they have there own scaffolders and gear so the expense doesnt matter to them.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

never ever put a raker/ledger brace in putlog ,you may as well do an independent by the time you put the underslinger and braces in . i never even used to put the underslinger in for the board ends a few year back .just lap the boards all the way round,rough as fook but i could lift 3 houses a day by my self

Top Bottom