system scaff training (1 Viewer)

Mc

Reaction score
Spent the last few days looking for work and training and it turns out system training is being asked for. as far as i can work out you have to go for a 2 day course and the system you where trained to use goes on the back of your CISRS card, not sure if you have to do a course for all the different systems but looks as though more and more companies will be asking for it in the future.

hi Mc. yea,l seen it coming up more & more. l think simian do the course,like you said 2 days & you can have added to your card. but l think to do that you have to have a valid cscs test too,but l might be wrong. does anyone if this is right ??

It's a complete rip off to be honest. Another money making scheme from CITB/NCC by the looks of it. You have to do a separate course for every system eg, if you do a Cuplok system training course you still can't use Kwikstage, you would need a separate endorsement on your card for that.

done the cuplok course 2 days wasted out of my life. you dont learn f*ck all sit in a class room like kids and play with your self only good to come out of it got payed . just something to put on your cv and your card . its a disgrace to make grown men thats been in the job for years do these courses . they say to assess you but when you start with someone new you now within afew hours if the guy is capable of the game .so how come these assessors cant see that?

done the cuplok course 2 days wasted out of my life. you dont learn f*ck all sit in a class room like kids and play with your self only good to come out of it got payed . just something to put on your cv and your card . its a disgrace to make grown men thats been in the job for years do these courses . they say to assess you but when you start with someone new you now within afew hours if the guy is capable of the game .so how come these assessors cant see that?

Its all about accountability and procedures,system scaffolds have to be erected by ticketed scaffs, if someone falls or is injured by scaffs erected by the laborer the company face huge fines. Paddy and ragscaff have aluded to this in other posts. System scaffs are becoming more popular with companies as they can run inhouse courses which cover their legal obligations to erect scaffolds by appointed persons.as you all know,it only takes us two minutes to learn how to stick one of those up. Thats why the assessed route of scaffolding doesnt count anymore, you must prove that you have had training and certs to go with it. T&F scaffs value must surely rise in the future as a highly skilled trade. CITB are trying to get the whole industry under one umbrella. All courses have to be CISRS approved. A company that takes on a building package that includes scaffolds, in the event of serious injury will get hammered if any works are carried out by incompetent people. (As a site manager how am I to know if you are competent) Show me your ticket is the answer. You cant say Ive been in the trade for 20 years, or you have turned up with the scaffold lorry withyour spanners. In a court of law now,I or the company woud get done if I allow you to start without seeing tickets and that goes across the board for all trades. I could go on. As hard as it is for some of you lads having to sit courses with numbnut trainees, and paying out for something that you are already worldclass at. The whole industry is changing and you need to go with it. I have been throwing up scaffolds on site to move things along. I now accept I have to go with someone fresh out of college,it kills me,I have experience but no tickets. Grandad rights are a thing of the past. By the way,a fall from height now is a trip or slip on flat ground. Can you break a bone or fracture a skull in a trip or slip? Do I need to answer this? I'm on your side ,and hopefully I can keep all safe on my site.:bigsmile:

Hi Fredrick mate.
Myself and Ragscaff have Alluded what ? what my intention is , Why not when on a CISRS training course/apprenticeship, instruct the Students on every different aspect of the scaffolding industry, and as such, on completion of their apprenticeship, have on their card, every discipline from T&F through all the various system scaffolds. Then there would be no need for all these bolt on courses, oops sorry, that means lost revenue to a whole load of people.

A Brickie during apprenticeship, doesnt just learn how to lay bricks, and then have to pay out his own pocket to learn how to lay Blocks:(

waste of time , extra course for the most straight forward part of our job

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

another money grabbing scam

Hi Fredrick mate.
Myself and Ragscaff have Alluded what ? what my intention is , Why not when on a CISRS training course/apprenticeship, instruct the Students on every different aspect of the scaffolding industry, and as such, on completion of their apprenticeship, have on their card, every discipline from T&F through all the various system scaffolds. Then there would be no need for all these bolt on courses, oops sorry, that means lost revenue to a whole load of people.

A Brickie during apprenticeship, doesnt just learn how to lay bricks, and then have to pay out his own pocket to learn how to lay Blocks:(

HI Paddy, I hav'nt structured my point very well, and first I apologise if I have misunderstood earlier posts by yourself and ragscaff. I cant even find the threads that prompted my comments. I agree with your analogy of brickies,but may I say without offence I dont think anyone has died from a badly laid brick. I also concurr that time served scaffs are getting the thin end of the stick and strongly SUPPORT all efforts by the forum to bring a bit of sanity to the situation. I have been site managing for 15 years,currently unemployed for the last eight months and have to hold all sorts of tickets to get back into a job. People I sit the courses with do not have my experience or knowledge in construction. Paddy, it counts for nothing without a ticket that confirms me as a qualified person. So at my own expence I pay for a lot of courses that Idont need to do. Like I said before its all about accountability. (Insurance companies wont pay out for personal injuries or damage if the appropriate person wasnt appointed to the task in hand) I expect some day the powers that be will extend the stringent site regulations to the private sector to stop boso's and hairyarse builders from putting up some of the,godawful Buildings& scaffolds I have seen recently. This in itself would open jobs for scaffs . You posted a thread about listening to the youngsters and looking after no 1. If I had listened to my son ,Perhaps I would still be in a job,I challenged unsafe practises and supported people who were being harrassed at work. I upset a lot of sycophants in high positoins in the company.The only thing they could use to get rid of me was I didnt have the tickets to run a site. All the people I stood up for,not one came out in support. I get my tickets,go back to the company ,and heads will roll. I think that was the point I was trying to make without opening my soul to the world. I look forward to your reply. Without debate and opinians is there a solution?:wondering::worried:

Trainees are already shown how to erect system scaffolding during their Part 1. That is enough IMO. Having the knowledge to erect and dismantle T+F far outweighs the ability to do system because you have a two day course under your belt. It's an absolute nonsense to suggest that a fully trained advanced scaffolder cannot erect system scaffold. He may not be as quick as someone who has used system all their days, but his level of competence is still as high if not higher than his counterpart who may be a basic scaffolder with an endorsement on his card.

My thoughts exactly Bundy on the whole sorry saga. As far as I am concerned product training is carried out in the centres as part of your normal training anything else outwith that scope is just a waste of time and money. If as many site agents like Frederik feel they need further proof of competence it's the citb that is letting us down not the employer. Anyone who has read any of my ramblings on here will know I am a big supporter of training and advancement but so far I have resisted the urge for product training as it's **** and will teach me or the boy's that work with me absolutely nothing.

Part 1 &2 & advanced cover all system scaffolds

i did mine 32 years ago at bircham newton as part of the above

the key to system is not that hard once its set out right

Part 1 &2 & advanced cover all system scaffolds

i did mine 32 years ago at bircham newton as part of the above

the key to system is not that hard once its set out right

Cant remember system scaffold being on the Part 1,2 & Advanced syllabus all those years ago. But then my memory is not as good as it was. Maybe others on here can remember??:confused:

I don't think it was part of the curriculum before the advent of svq for the boys doing the old part 1 etc but it certainly part of all training now.

I am sure we got told how to put a return transom on some yellow jelly on a part 1 in renfrew in 1990 ish, but that was about it, it was a long time ago??????????????. I hate the stuff and its all a big con "teaching" blokes on different types of systems, surely if you have a PT 2 or ADV card you are capable of working this sh1t out.
Oh no, i must be wrong we cant even erect an ali tower. FFS

waste of time , extra course for the most straight forward part of our job

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

another money grabbing scam

Got to agree,what next courses for different types of fittings?Hang on you can't use those band and plates, you've not been trained!!We erect system stairs,on tube and fitting jobs,never been asked for a card to prove I can erect them and that's been on some of the real safety gone mad sites.

Top Bottom