Scaffolding Firm Building For The Future (1 Viewer)

SF Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
A SCAFFOLDING firm celebrating 20 years in business is restructuring to meet the needs of the future.

Brothers Tony and Peter Mullen and friend Gary Linsley launched Marine Scaffolding in 1989 on a shoestring budget.

Today the company has a £1.5m annual turnover and employs 25 staff from its three compounds in Riley Street, Jarrow. But it was all very different two decades ago.

Director Tony Mullen recalled: "When we left Stirling Scaffolding in Jarrow, we initially operated from the back garden of my mother's home in Jutland Avenue in Hebburn.

"We scraped together enough for a wagon and scaffolding materials, and just knocked on doors.

"After about a year, we got a base in Riley Street. It was just a portable cabin with a telephone – but that didn't stop burglars stealing our guard dog!"

The lads struck lucky early on when they were awarded a rig contract from McNulty Marine in South Shields.

But as the shipyard work began to dry up over the years, the company has increasingly had to diversify into other areas, including refurbishment work, temporary roofing and engineering drawings.

And as the company prepares to enter its third decade, the three directors are looking to the future.

One of the plans is to join the National Access and Scaffolding Confederation (NASC) and add to the 12 vehicles in its current fleet, in an attempt to give them the edge over their rivals.

Source: The Shields Gazette

Mr Mullen added: "The last year has been tough, but we have managed to hold our own in a very competitive market.

"We have always known our trade but we have learned a lot of business lessons over the years. Those lessons will help us into the future."

Last edited:
Five years on and we're still here despite the robbing main contractors who think it's fine not to pay for scope creep. 25 years, I wonder if we get a badge, probably have to settle for the grey hair :)

Well done Gary I know the struggles well , it sure ain't easy and takes a lot of time , determination , and energy to get through some of the obsticales that we meet as we try and meet the demands of customers and do things the right way .

Best of luck for the future fella.

Phil's post says it all. It takes a lot of determination and a truck load of luck to last as long as you lads have.

We have some talented scaffs as the backbone of the company, mind we had to kiss a few frogs to find the princes (;

That's right Tony, without quality scaffolder's any scaffold company will descend into oblivion, your highly trained labour is the most valuable asset you have. I only wish more people (scaffolders and management) would recognise this.

That's right Tony, without quality scaffolder's any scaffold company will descend into oblivion, your highly trained labour is the most valuable asset you have. I only wish more people (scaffolders and management) would recognise this.

I wholeheartedly agree with you there brother.

Top Bottom