Scaff steps

1969scaff

Reaction score
Right let's have a show off hands, who on this forum has used the scaff steps or similar this week?Got to remember it's law now!!Heard a cracker from one of our supervisors,he claims an advanced scaffolder from Manchester got caught by the HSE erecting a job with no harness on and no ladders on any of the lifts,he actually climbed down the scaffold to talk to the HSE.He was given a prohibition order stopping him from scaffolding,told he had to redo all his cards,starting at basic and was fined.Don't know when this was supposed to happen but has any one heard the same thing?Seems way over the top to me,part of our firms current scare tactics for us refusing to cart the scaff steps around.Could do with some clarification about whose responsibility it is to get them from job to job,also what would happen if you actually got caught not using the steps?

I think i am quiet luck as the firm I work for has method statments and risk assesments for every job. In these it says I must use the scaff step clip on ect ect. Time is no longer an issue, all I need to do is work safley and put a good job up.
I had a couple of days work with another firm in the last week, no health and saftey. Working on a two board run four lifts up and no hand rail. All the time my boss is happy for me to use the scaff step then so am I.

most of the big compans being using them for a while now mate,the new guidence notes endorses them although its not law when the big boys start using them well the rest usually follow dont mind using the step at all just takes a bit longer.i wouldnt want to humph one round with tools after work though lol.

isnt it guidance?

Although if mr hse pulled you up then you would be asked why you working to current best practice, thats a hard thing to explain; as you would prob be seen to be breaking the working at height rules? Probably!

i think theres going to a lot of explaining to be done over the next few months tomp lol,as long as the hse can muster a workforce that is.

How many of the firms claim to be working to SG4:10?

If the supervisor or manager who has had no sg4:10 trainnig writes a document and tells his lads from now on if anybody asks your sg4:10 trained we did it in the yard on a Sat morn, gives you the steps and tells you to crack on.

Mr HSE comes out and watches a team erect with the steps to the best of their ability hes still gonna know that they are not competently trained!

so mr supervisor is knowingly incompetent and making lads work while not being trained, so breaking the work at height regs and how many others?

At the moment how many firms are not using the steps, how many say they are trained when they are not and how many are trained? who is going to prosectute?

sounds a bit extreme if you ask me dont know any lads that like using the st eps we just keep them with us if we see any hse make out youv been using them all day!

sounds a bit extreme if you ask me dont know any lads that like using the st eps we just keep them with us if we see any hse make out youv been using them all day!

that seems to be the norm at the minute though doesnt it.

but, at first people didnt want to put the intermediate handrail in but its happening now, its just a matter of time, the more site manager and safety officers are trained about these things the more they are gonna pull people up over them. for the moment scaffs are relying on the (not meaning to be derogatory but) ignorant (not knowing or understanding) managers etc.

I can't use them, 47 this year kness won't handle it. Rather work of the boarded lift as god intended!!

Local firm to NASC registered has had quite a few incidents with the steps, especially in the wet. Trying to get details but jobs are hard to get so may not be able too :eek:h:

wet steel no deal! ha ha thats the quote my mate tells me!

weather conditions come into it, we pulled off site before xmas it had snowed but everything was still icy, including the step so i said sorry not safe and they agreed and phoned our boss to tell him we were being sent off site.

I can't use them, 47 this year kness won't handle it. Rather work of the boarded lift as god intended!!

Local firm to NASC registered has had quite a few incidents with the steps, especially in the wet. Trying to get details but jobs are hard to get so may not be able too :eek:h:

i say one thing i wished i had used knee pads years a go my knees caps are fooked. give a quid for a poor donkey in africa what about the olde git scaffolders lol.

We have been using them off and on since 2009 but only when the main contractor has insisted.What seems to be the problem is this idea that it's law,is it?Can someone please tell me what the hell it is?

what is the law on using the step can a contractor insist you use it as i thought S.G was only a guide

it most likely would come down to best practice wouldnt it?

if that is the industry guidance surely a court would look to see why you werent using industry expert knowledge, therefore leaving you open to prosecution.

If you fall off a platform while erecting or dismantling and there is no sg4 guardrail you are endangering yourself and the people you could possibly fall on so you would be breaking atleast the WAHR, thats what i can understand maybe some one could expand?

You know my view on the scaff step ragscaff. I some times wonder if the developers of some of the equipment and the powers that be don't have a vested interst in the marketing. New working practice = new training= more expense to the scaffold companies. I think my concerns were highlighted at your last HSE meeting.

Next you will need a handrail round the step, to access the step to install a handrail:eek:

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Work at height is anyplace, at above or below a place of work, where a fall could cause injury;)

Next you will need a handrail round the step, to access the step to install a handrail:eek:

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Work at height is anyplace, at above or below a place of work, where a fall could cause injury;)

I take it you haven't seen the podium step paddy :amuse::D

Top Bottom