which is better cis 20% tax or umberella (1 Viewer)

golden nuggett

Reaction score
any one know if it work out better to use self employed basic 20% tax or go with an umbrella company were i can get a weekly expense claim in bearing in mind ill be paying my own digs four nights a week? advice apreciated

welcome golden nuggett speak to Rosie from bettertax one of our sponsors who are very helpful :)

better tax the one to see mate,i think with the umbrella company you recive 88% of your gross with your expenses,thats not a wholey informed bit of info just something i picked up on my travels,best of luck lad.

umberella defo pal you can claim everything back

Hello Golden Nuggett,

Firstly, welcome to the forums, lots of great advice around :).

Secondly, the answer to this is very much down to personal circumstances. Do give us a call so that we can point you in the right direction - 01280 821020 - we're always happy to help if we can :)

come on better tax you could at least show these lads how it works.

umbrella no question
i claimed back my digs, travel, and even my food every week.
digs is up to £70 per night= £350 per week on top of wages
travel costs £45 per week
food, i got £12 a day

Under CIS, all these expenses can be claimed back too...

It's worth bearing in mind that you should be able to produce receipts (should you need to) for any expenses you incur and that not all umbrella companies point this out.

There are no standard amounts that can be claimed. Each expense needs to be supported.

At the end of the day, it's still YOUR responsibility should HMRC decide to investigate.

Whichever way you go is always going to be a personal decision.

hey m.mouse is the umbrella option avaliable with any job u take? or just sum of the agency 1,s?

Top Bottom