Max deviation (1 Viewer)

slav80

Reaction score
We have build the bridge.typical design on the drawing =6m
We ended up with 6.3m.
I truly believe this would change loadings in very minimal way.whats the deviation we can have ? Is there any?its a 4 board scaffold bridge made of 4 no 750 mm deep generation beams supported by towers 700 by 930 by 3560.

It is gonna depend on what you have punched of of it Slav but your only talking about
30 cm , why is it different to the design ? ,and has the design been changed by the designer.

Slav, i dont think it would make that much difference? (i'm no engineer) but if your that concerned throw some spurs in off each tower to reduce the gap even further?

the changing times of a scaffolder, good men cant even think about jobs anymore.
thats not a dig slav just a common observation of todays game.

How many times have we gone out thrown up a scaffold and bridged it without a 2nd thought as to whether it is strong enough , of course its strong enough its what we do.That is whats wrong with all these changes you find yourself doubting your ability to do anything these days . is that fitting tightened to the right torque are my beams strong enough , will the wind blow and rip down my roof , i think its a lot of scare tactics and keeps scaffolders from using the best tool they have their experience in 31 years scaffolding i have never had a scaffold collapse or fall over you know whats needed to do the job right.

How many times have we gone out thrown up a scaffold and bridged it without a 2nd thought as to whether it is strong enough , of course its strong enough its what we do.That is whats wrong with all these changes you find yourself doubting your ability to do anything these days . is that fitting tightened to the right torque are my beams strong enough , will the wind blow and rip down my roof , i think its a lot of scare tactics and keeps scaffolders from using the best tool they have their experience in 31 years scaffolding i have never had a scaffold collapse or fall over you know whats needed to do the job right.
Thats bang on Phillo, often thought that myself. I've come to the conclusion that there are a lot of jumped up people now making a living off the backs of scaffolders and the industry in general. The knowledge and know how a good scaffolder has was not learned in a classroom but as a result of learning from and been shown the skills from a previous generation of good scaffolders, competence and confidence in our ability to erect any scaffolding structure with or without drawings comes from that, not from a classroom. Beams and particularly the alloy ones are a great addition to the range of materials now available to us, but before that we did it with tube, we knew how. raking shores, flying shores were done with tube and to use the phrase, "they were fit for purpose", they stayed up. A lot of S/O's etc these days have not come from scaffolding backgrounds, I personally know some that in a previous career were, a painter, a plumber, an electrician. and I'm not joking, a hairdresser. Now those people have suddenly become scaffolding experts because they have a diploma or cert of some sort hanging behind their desks. They consider themselves educated and therefore superior in some form to a mere scaffolder. If the drawing states 6m and it turns out 6.3cm (unless its for precision for panels or suchlike) an engineer would hardly quibble with it, but these people would because they know no better. To my mind it comes down to a form of accquired snobbery, they think they are more educated than the scaffolder who has been a lifetime in the game.

Brandy my Father who has retired this year after nearly 50 years scaffolding used to work for McAlpines and all the major building firms from the early 60s told me they used scaffolding for everything and used to make massive box trusses out of just tube and fittings all the false work was tube and fitting tower blocks hoists gantry's everything and the scaffolders just done it from experience with a charge hand over seeing everything.it is our Fathers and grand fathers that have taught us what we know NOT some 2 weeks in a classroom every 6 months , WE know what works

Thats bang on Phillo, often thought that myself. I've come to the conclusion that there are a lot of jumped up people now making a living off the backs of scaffolders and the industry in general. The knowledge and know how a good scaffolder has was not learned in a classroom but as a result of learning from and been shown the skills from a previous generation of good scaffolders, competence and confidence in our ability to erect any scaffolding structure with or without drawings comes from that, not from a classroom. Beams and particularly the alloy ones are a great addition to the range of materials now available to us, but before that we did it with tube, we knew how. raking shores, flying shores were done with tube and to use the phrase, "they were fit for purpose", they stayed up. A lot of S/O's etc these days have not come from scaffolding backgrounds, I personally know some that in a previous career were, a painter, a plumber, an electrician. and I'm not joking, a hairdresser. Now those people have suddenly become scaffolding experts because they have a diploma or cert of some sort hanging behind their desks. They consider themselves educated and therefore superior in some form to a mere scaffolder. If the drawing states 6m and it turns out 6.3cm (unless its for precision for panels or suchlike) an engineer would hardly quibble with it, but these people would because they know no better. To my mind it comes down to a form of accquired snobbery, they think they are more educated than the scaffolder who has been a lifetime in the game.

again, spot on Brandy,

im getting as good as scaffy with these on liners:D

Phillo, 81 years of scaffolding experience and know-how counts for something, but not it seems for some of the clowns out there who rely instead on their paint by numbers drawings. Enough said pal and I wish you and yours a happy christmas and a good 2011.Cheers Terry.

I got to agree that inflates ego's and inverted snobbery is rife within the so called H&S/O 's, the certs that be deck the walls of their offices are worthless pieces of paper most are free gifts contained within a cornflake packet :D, thank goodness that Im coming to the end of my shelf like, cos sure as God made little green apples, Im going to deck one of these imposters one day :nuts:

Top Bottom