Boss fined £1,000 for punching a former date in a bar brawl

SF Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
BOSS at Britain’s biggest scaffolding firm has been convicted of twice punching a woman in the face – despite a defence witness insisting: “It was more like a handbags wrestling match”.

Anthony Mobey, of Lettons Way, Dinas Powys, who runs the South Wales branch of international firm Lyndon, denied assaulting the former managing director.

But yesterday the 50-year-old manager was fined £1,000 after Cardiff Magistrates’ Court heard he punched Michelle Goodman in the now-closed Bar Orient in Cardiff Bay after seeing her with another man, Kim Millard.

Ms Goodman used to run M & G Haulage Container Services on Barry’s Atlantic Trading Estate, Barry, a site which is now occupied by Lyndon.

She told the court the pair had been on two dates but stopped seeing one another after she discovered he was living with another woman.

Ms Goodman, now a full-time mother, said she went to the toilet when Mobey joined the group she was with.

She said: “When I came back I walked through the crowd of people and walked into Tony Mobey who pushed me flying.”

Ms Goodman felt “intimidated and nervous and wanted to get out” after Mobey shoved her with both hands on her shoulders.

She and Mr Millard decided to leave when they had finished their drinks.

But Mobey came across the bar and grabbed Mr Millard in a one-armed “smothering tackle.”

He used his free arm to strike Ms Goodman.

She said: “He lunged at Kim in a rugby tackle and threw a fist at me and caught me on the inside of my head, I was sitting on a barstool.

“Some words were said, I can’t remember what.

“And he threw another punch as [friend] Paul Smith was trying to hold him.

“I said to the barman, did you see that? And he said, yes.”

Mobey had been drinking in Dinas Powys at the Three Horseshoes and Cross Keys pubs before Cardiff Bay.

He told the court that when he realised Mr Millard, whom he knew, and Ms Goodman were together he said: “Oh my God, you’re with her.”

Mobey told the court it was he who came face to face with Ms Goodman and that he “body swerved her and walked around her”.

He said the violence was instigated by Mr Millard who kicked him in the shins.

Mr Millard denied this happened.

Mobey claimed the incident, on July 17, was “over in seconds”.

When South Wales Police contacted him he thought they were inquiring about the incident with Mr Millard.

When questioned by defence solicitor Cerys Walters, he said: “I couldn’t believe I was being brought in accused of hitting Michelle. I thought when he [the officer] phoned me it was about me hitting Kim.

“I couldn’t believe I was accused of hitting Michelle.

“I’ve not hit a woman and I never would.”

But prosecutor Tudor Harris said: “You grabbed Kim Millard and threw a punch. Whether it was aimed at Mr Millard or not remains to be seen but you threw a punch that connected with Michelle and not content with that you threw another punch that connected again.”

Witness Ken Britton, 48, insisted he did not seen any punches thrown.

He said: “It was more like a handbags wrestling match.

“They [Mobey and Mr Millard] were just trying to grab hold of each other.”

Mr Britton said if punches had been thrown he would have seen them.

The prosecutor said Mr Britton was too drunk to see what happened.

But Mr Britton, who made the news in 2008 when he was beaten and robbed in his Dinas Powys home, claimed that after three beers and a glass of wine he was not drunk but “fine”.

Judge Bodfan Jenkins rejected the defence’s evidence and believed Ms Goodman and the prosecution.

“I accept what they say did happen,” he said.

As well as the fine he ordered Mobey to pay £400 compensation.

Outside court Ms Goodman said: “I’m just glad it’s all over.”

Lyndon Scaffolding were contacted but no one was available to comment.

Source: Wales Online

he has all scaffolders qualites, drinking fighting knocing off another woman whilst living with one

Handbags eh? and I thought Lyndons loved their boxing.

The guy should be ashamed of himself, but with admin dredging through the local rags for news regarding scaffolding I better hold fire before clambering for the high moral ground as you never know.:embarrest:

Seems the girl who won the Apprentice is shacked up with a scaffolder"With links to the criminal underworld" According to the papers.

Top Bottom