Advanced or Supervisor course?? (1 Viewer)

woodsie

Reaction score
Hi there, Scaffolder part 2 looking into working abroad, offshore etc.
I know u need Boiset/ Mist to work offshore which im going to do but for other jobs in Middle East etc would going for my advanced or doing the scaffolder supervisor course be more helpful towards getting work.
I know doing both would be best but not made of money, plus the advanced course is more expencive, takes longer to do and you have to fill in portfolio and go back for two day assesment where as the supervisor course would be cheaper and is only a one week course, done n dusted.
Im sure id learn something on the advanced course but not beingn funny ive been doing it for over ten years.
Im swaying towards the supervisor course coz the suits will think its superior.(Althought its not)
What do ya would be best in regards of getting work guys?:confused:
Oh yeah and is the supervisor card a separate card or would i get a part 2 supervisor card???

Last edited:
Woodsie

In part answer to your question, the supervisor card is a separate card. I have no experience of offshore or work abroad, and therefore wouldn't know what they would be looking for with regards to qualifications. But over here on the big sites, it seems to be enough to show your supervisor card they are not interested in any other card. I don't know if they see this card as the be all and end all. This is only my experience I don't know if this is the case on all sites.

Hi Collo, Thanks for the reply, where are you working at the mo mate.

I've herd that the CITB are to revise the Advanced course yet again to include , wait for it 2 days of basic maths and english
character0112.gif

Something to do with raising the course to diploma level which in turn increases the level of government funding available to the training centers. Can anybody from the training centers confirm this or am I having my leg pulled
laugh.gif

nothing would surprise me Podger.

It might have changed since I was last on a rig but all supervision was taken from the rank and file and an Advanced card would be the one to get first.

Just to clear things up there is no Level 3 Scaffolders diploma written yet, it comes up as a qualification married up with level 2 functional skills. Also there is no funding for it hence the reason all apprentices stop at QCF2 now not NVQ.

For Advanced the qualification changed from NVQ3 to QCF3 in September 2010, its very similar but more supervisory.

With regards to an advanced with maths and english the CITB are already doing this on part ones and twos as they get funding for the now defunct key skills, you do it during your course.

Last one, Advanced Scaffolder i would recommend before supervisor.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

Just to clear things up there is no Level 3 Scaffolders diploma written yet, it comes up as a qualification married up with level 2 functional skills. Also there is no funding for it hence the reason all apprentices stop at QCF2 now not NVQ.

For Advanced the qualification changed from NVQ3 to QCF3 in September 2010, its very similar but more supervisory.

With regards to an advanced with maths and english the CITB are already doing this on part ones and twos as they get funding for the now defunct key skills, you do it during your course.

Last one, Advanced Scaffolder i would recommend before supervisor.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Hi there, Scaffolder part 2 looking into working abroad, offshore etc.
I know u need Boiset/ Mist to work offshore which im going to do but for other jobs in Middle East etc would going for my advanced or doing the scaffolder supervisor course be more helpful towards getting work.
I know doing both would be best but not made of money, plus the advanced course is more expencive, takes longer to do and you have to fill in portfolio and go back for two day assesment where as the supervisor course would be cheaper and is only a one week course, done n dusted.
Im sure id learn something on the advanced course but not beingn funny ive been doing it for over ten years.
Im swaying towards the supervisor course coz the suits will think its superior.(Althought its not)
What do ya would be best in regards of getting work guys?:confused:
Oh yeah and is the supervisor card a separate card or would i get a part 2 supervisor card???

you would get a CISRS Scaffolders supervisor card with Scaffolder on the back

Yes i heard off my instructor on my part 2 course that if you do the supervisor card on the back it says what level scaffolder you are too. i.e. advanced, part 2 CSCS or whatever.
But ive heard different off other people.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Anyone out there a scaffolder and has the suppervisor card, does it have advanced scaff or part 2 on the back??

Mine just says supervisor course on the back of it, it is a couple of years old though, newer ones might be different.

Im actually begining to consider a rope access course instead of Advanced or supervisor cards because when you google for jobs there seems to be a lot more demand for rope access jobs, plus ive read on here some scaffs have been trying to get offshore for months, some years with no success so is rope access the way to go??.
Dont really care which course i do so long as it gets me offshore.

I worked offshore doing rope access, you need to do IRATA level 1.. then you need a trade to do off the ropes, to be honest I'd stick with scaffolding, level 1's are 10 a penny and most ropr access people are ******* boring.... course is 5 days and a right con... you have to renew it with courses every 4 year..

On a lot of jobs posted in the middle east they tend to want Supervisors and it seems a lot less hasle to obtain than the advanced card i.e. less time, less money, no portfolio to fill in so think ill opt for that one. Sounds more impressive on the old CV too.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but to be eligible to take the advanced course you need 12 months on-site experience after you part II assessment. So surely you will need your NVQ 3 (advanced) assessment before you can go onto supervisors course as this NVQ 4. Am I just being niave or can you skip straight from NVQ 2 to NVQ 4?

Supervisor course isnt NVQ4, ive contacted CITB and you can go staight to do it if you pay up. You dont need to be on the spanners to do it and it doesnt envolve any spanner work just class room. Its more of method statements, risk assesment, pricing ******** than monkey work. (For the office jockey)
They told me at CITB that if i do it id get a supervisor card with scaffolder on the back.
Dont need to be advanced to go for it so im told.

Yes u can jump straight from nvq2 to supervisor , seems strange though ,basic, advanced, then supervisor seems natural progression !?
How can a basic supervise an advanced just after he/ she has sat in a classroom for 5 days?

Top Bottom