Guardrails (1 Viewer)

wezza

Reaction score
Why is it that we have to use Advance Guardrails and stuff .. when you can walk into a train station on to the platform and fall off the edge onto the lines ? The only safety aspect i see on the platform is a white line !! How can this be right when we have to put guardrails on a bloomin hop up ??

just a thought thats all,... what does everybody else think ?

fully agree with you wezza! i find that the younger guys coming into the game now just dont have there wits about them and i blame this on health and safety! sometimes when you try and make something to safe it can become dangerous as people get complacent at what there doing!

I have said that a million times wezza, we have quite a sizeable canal our way and they are forever having to drain it to fix something leaving a 30 - 40ft drop right beside a public footpath with no protection for around 10 miles or more. As if the water is not danger enough when it's in use but more than a few have lost their life whilst drained fallen in and sucked in to the mud and simply died of exposure.

It`s the blame game , if someone goes over the platform edge at a station it can be argued that they were not paying due care and attention but if you go on to a site you are obviously not capable of due care and attention and therefore a multimillion pound industry must be built on the back of that to keep you safe becuase you are no doubt going to throw yourself of the next scaffold you try to erect .Simples .

What about the employee's working in the station, surely they come under the same regulations as the scaffs? Public areas should be even more stringent such as stations and canals, or at least every time I have to build a public walkway you would think the Queens Household Calvary are planning an invasion.

It just doesn`t work like that aom . When we are being scrutinised over the safety of the general public the cost factor is included in the job so is paid for privately , if someone was to stand up and say "oi look at this it`s not safe , someone could fall of here" then the place would have to close and no doubt money from the public purse would need to be found . At the end of the day it`s all about money , we seem prepared to pay and except over the top safety while in other walks of life due care and attention suffices .

Why is it that we have to use Advance Guardrails and stuff .. when you can walk into a train station on to the platform and fall off the edge onto the lines ? The only safety aspect i see on the platform is a white line !! How can this be right when we have to put guardrails on a bloomin hop up ??

just a thought thats all,... what does everybody else think ?
The question is why in the construction industry 49.9% fatality is from working at height and the comparison white line at the station platform edge. The white line identifies the potential risk, if you go beyond the line the worst case collision with oncoming train or fall onto the live track. The white line is a protective barrier and the general awareness that everybody knows.

The 49.5% fatalities relate to lack of assessment by the employer, employee judgement or taking short cuts and the correct selection working at height equipment of a collective fall protection.

To enable the scaffolder to advance to the next lift and provide a collective safe zone he must advance the scaffold safe zone by erecting an advance guardrail. This requires him to erect from a safe position and this is achieved by using the hop up step. The scaffold frame is erected by progressively building in two metre lifts, raising the boards after the advancing lift is complete with the advance guardrail installed. The boards are positioned by the use of the tunnelling method, close board. the advanced platform and accessing to the next lift achieved by a secured pole ladder. You are now formed a scaffolder’s collective safe zone and that why the hop up step is used.

On a leading edge such as a railway platform 1m drop approx it seems a white line will suffice, compare that to a construction site, it may be argued that a guardrail impedes access to the train. However surely there is no such excuse for an unguarded drop of 30-40ft on a drained canal on a public walkway as in AOM's post. Would it not be in the interest of public safety to close off the walkway while the work is going on, or if that is not possible, install a permanent guardrail because as AOM stated this work is frequently done. Is it because there is one set of rules for the private sector and another for local authorities and the like.

quote:To enable the scaffolder to advance to the next lift and provide a collective safe zone he must advance the scaffold safe zone by erecting an advance guardrail. This requires him to erect from a safe position and this is achieved by using the hop up step. The scaffold frame is erected by progressively building in two metre lifts, raising the boards after the advancing lift is complete with the advance guardrail installed. The boards are positioned by the use of the tunnelling method, close board. the advanced platform and accessing to the next lift achieved by a secured pole ladder. You are now formed a scaffolder’s collective safe zone and that why the hop up step is used.

Quote:This requires him to erect from a safe position and this is achieved by using the hop up step.

In my OWN honest opinion mate, there is NO safe position using the Hop up step, i must be using it wrong:sick:

The scaffolder’s step should only used at a single location at the standard line when erecting 2m lifts, to install the advance guardrail. The step should not be consider to advance the scaffold frame when erecting a 2.7m lift.

So what would be the method if you where erecting an 2.5m high lift ? and why cant that method be used when erecting a 2m lift.
And what is the preferred method now for erecting a hoist tower?

The scaffolder’s step should only used at a single location at the standard line when erecting 2m lifts, to install the advance guardrail. The step should not be consider to advance the scaffold frame when erecting a 2.7m lift.

Que !!!!!! i from Barcelona, i now a nothing, tis Hamster, apologies thick Geordie here mate. Could you run that by me again ???????:confused:

Regards
Paddy

I dont think he means the base Paddy, well i hope he doesnt, he must mean a lift from a design scaffold? in which case how do i get my advanced guardrail from the step at the correct height???

Out of that 49.5% of people how many are scaffolders ??

Does that include the one that walked over plasterboards placed over a stair well by eastern european site labourers ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom