which nebosh course (1 Viewer)

cassie

Reaction score
As a scaffolder would I be better doing the construction, oil and gas, general or international , whats the pros and cons of the different courses ? cheers..

with a scaffolding background definately National construction cert. Youll find some of the scaffolding questions not absolutely correct, but as always take your years of a scaffolders head off and answer them the NEBOSH way.

depends what your aim is after completing nebosh, if its scaffolding general construction work then its the construction cert,

if you want to do offshore and oil an gas then its oil n gas

if you not sure what you want to do go for construction cert, if you been scaffolding in the construction sector for past few years you already know most of it , all you need to concentrate on is the actual nebosh language , their way of answering questions is the biggest headache

Cheers lads... was thinking of doing the home study... can't have time off work... think thats possible ?

Cheers lads... was thinking of doing the home study... can't have time off work... think thats possible ?

cassie,
i done mine 8 year ago, one night a week at college, with all of my study distance learning it took six months but found it ok, it is also quite a difficult exam as someone stated before, take your scaff head off and you shoul be ok.
BUT, NEBOSH is not the be all and end all which will steer you into another life, i went on to be a safety advisor for 1 year and hated it, (please dont shoot me down i'm only giving my opinon). it is ok for some but not for others, you probably got the idea sitting in a bait cabin listening to a scaff bullsh1t this bullsh1t that, all (most) scaffs think it is the next line of progress, dont bank on it.
however it does open you up to the safe methods of working and the likes, puts you in good stead in identifying hazards, writing RAMS and giving you heads up on some site managers who think they no it all, but actually know fukc all.

just an idea after being through all that, but at the same time i done my NEBOSH, a workmate done his temporary works design at college and he is lapping it up, (although a little bit tougher) well worth a look.

best of luck with what you choose? anything is possible.

cheers

JAKDAN you say you went into safety for a year and hated it, so which way did you turn, what did you end up doing??. The reason i ask is because i have just been made redundant after 11 years with the same company from scaff to supervisor, contract manager and safety. Ive got one more unit to sit in january in the Nebosh Diploma, and havnt got a clue which way to go. A consultant in scaffold safety, permanant safety job in construction or stick to scaffolding in a managering role but the last option are as rare as rocking horse s--t. So completely lost what to do.

im really really thinking of going for my teaching certificates nxt because similar to jakdan , i dont think id like to be in a shirt n tie all day telling people where they going wrong , i think i would prefer to teach people so they dont get it wrong ,

im thinking of becoming a trainer / assessor i think that route would suit me more.

all i need now is some students who can afford me :laugh:

JAKDAN you say you went into safety for a year and hated it, so which way did you turn, what did you end up doing??. The reason i ask is because i have just been made redundant after 11 years with the same company from scaff to supervisor, contract manager and safety. Ive got one more unit to sit in january in the Nebosh Diploma, and havnt got a clue which way to go. A consultant in scaffold safety, permanant safety job in construction or stick to scaffolding in a managering role but the last option are as rare as rocking horse s--t. So completely lost what to do.

poledancer, i went back on the spanner for a year then got a supervisor job, then up to contracts manager, and like you just made redundant, sh1t happens,
i dont know mate i honestly dont, but it is all we know so we just have to carry on, i'm 42 and dont want to go back on the tools but i could, after watching some of the muppets i have watched for the last few year (bengal lancers).
like superscaff i really fancy giving the training a shot, because it is a disgrace.
I currently have a 17 year old son doing his apprenticeship and i am very keen to watch his progress, the best part of his training is sitting in the CLASS listening to storys about how good the teacher was, (you know the type, put the last 20 on canary warf but hasnt been oot of the toon.)
By the way i am not blaming the teachers as this is what they have to do, but instead of sitting in the class listening to sh1t and reading facebook messages to each other, build another tower.ETC
SH1T GOING OFF ON ONE, SORRY ALL :cry:

I DONT KNOW PAL, BEST OF LUCK

Someone said they were thinking of going in to Scaffold Consultancy work, before you start splashing out cash on gaining qualifications etc, you might want to check out IOSH's new proposals with regard to becoming a consultant. As a scaffolding Consultant you’ll be providing health and safety advice and they want all consultants to hold CMIOSH status in the near future, that’s Chartered Membership. You’ll need public liability and professional indemnity insurance to cover £1M to £5M, depending on the requirements of the organisation you gain work from. You’ll need to shop around to find the best insurance offers; I got well ripped off, when I first started in 2002, from a place in Wallsend, Newcastle. The Broker knew I couldn’t start without it, made me wait, and then charged £1850 just for the PI insurance.
I've got all sorts, of Health and Safety Quals myself, NEBOSH Cert, 2 health and safety Diploma's, almost an MSc, but it’s still hard to get work. There's 60 -100 and more applying for each job and if you're highly qualified, they appear to be, afraid to take you on because you know too much, or you more qualified that the bloke that’s offering the job.
I also do scaffold training, you need the same insurances if you want to go freelance, it’s great in the summer, but the place I'm at, at the moment; it must be 5 degrees colder in the scaffolding rig than outside, and it was -18 /-19 on Tuesday in there. I don't want to put anyone off, but check things out before you put any hard earned cash in to developing your skills and qualifications in this area.
Best of luck. John

Im interested in the scaffold inspector or h and safety consultancy work, id love to teach but always wondered how hard it would be to get into!

Just wrote a lengthy reply, tried to post it, and it's lost in cyber space. Go to you local college and ask them to point you in the right direction for quals in H & S. That will give you the credibility you need to become an Inspector, but you also need to do the inspection courses for Basic and Advance Inspectors. If you have the Advanced card you can go straight on the Advanced training course. It's a good qualification to have, but make sure you go to a decent training provider re scaffold inspection courses, ask your mates if they know any good ones, I do but don't want to advertise on here as I'm sure it will be against the rules of the site.

Ive got both the basic and the advanced inspection, just done the IOSH managing safely and looking at the Nebosh general cert in construction.

on the teaching side what do you need is it PETTLS(or however its spelt?)??

TomP this is the one that was in cyber space. Sorry I took so long to get back in touch. I've seen a few posts on here explaining the quals required. When I did mine in 1998 you only needed D32/33, shadow the courses then start looking for someone to give you that first chance to get on the ladder. Now you need to do the A units (Assessors Units) for Assessing, Teaching qual the KETTLES NETTLES & PETTLS etc. To get your-self a little more credibility you might want to think about gaining some quals in safety, eg NEBOSH, you will need a little more than the IOSH managing safety qual. If you get in touch with your local college, they will be able to provide the assessing and teaching quals, but in the current economic climate the training companies are reluctant to take new instructors on. Scaffolding training is the biggest earner of all the training done by the CITB, but they are governed by other awarding bodies and now to work for them you have to be CRB checked. It took more than 100 days to get mine and I lost my position.
Scaffolding is a young man’s game and a lot of lads hitting their forties are looking at training and safety as a new avenue into keeping their careers, in scaffolding going. Safety and Training are not physically hard, but when you've spent a full week with 9 part One trainee’s, who all think they know more than the instructor, believe me, you can be mentally wrecked at the end of the week, especially when you first start.
I've gained quite a good name as a trainer and generally do the Advance courses, but in saying that, a lot of companies have stopped sending their men on Advanced courses, because you don't need to be Advance to do house bashing.
This all costs a lot of money to do the training, but if you have a look at Working Links, they can help with funding regarding training, don't go to the dole for assistance, they'll tell you there's no funding, there a waste of time, but if you direct to working links they might help to pay for your training. You can also get reduced rates though your tax credits. Hope this help, all the best John
Thats me finished for the night, good night.

isitjell it is perfectly ok to recommend companies and organisations on the forum by name so long as you are not advertising a company specifically for your own interests , and not in with the topic of conversation

I do these courses myself, but haven't got the premises to do them now, but I can highly recommend two good instructors, that are very good friends of mine. John Martin, he's working at Lawson's in Workington, Cumbria. Won't give his number out on here but I'm sure you could get in touch through Lawson's and John Campbell is the other Instructor, of Safety and Access in Nottingham. I did my Instructor training with John Martin and have a lot of respect for his ability as a Scaffolding Instructor, as I have worked along-side him for a number of years. He's not one of the so called muppet trainers as mentioned in quite a few posts written on this site.

totally agree with the john martin statement, pity he left newcastle college,
good to see he is doing ok, i thought he walked away from it altogether.

Some very useful information there isitjell, when you acquired your qualifications you seemed to stay within your own industry scaffolding why was that, was it a comfort zone or was that where the money was. Ive been told a lot of company's like to employ safety guys from a scaffold background is that true or not ?. And the insurances the money quoted do you pay that in full or is it on a monthly basis ?

When companies find out you have a scaffolding background some are all over you like a rash, but others think, once a scaffolder always a scaffolder and don’t appreciate your abilities. I’ve stayed in scaffolding, because it’s my niche area (started feb 1978) and there are only a few who have the same competencies, but I’m getting board with doing the same thing, week in week out, so I’m looking at new opportunities, but if nothing happens, I’ve always got this to fall back on. I’ve done quite a bit with the HSE for the CITB, kind of poacher turned game keeper, some of them haven’t a clue, when it come to scaffolding, but they’re well educated people and pick things up very quickly, and I have a lot of respect for what they do.
As for insurances, have a shop around, Sennet Insurance are good, and will insure depending on your experience. Remember when completing the forms, all your activities are done on fully boarded and hand railed structures or you do your inspections etc. from the ground. Obviously, if you pay the lump sum at the beginning of the year, it’s cheaper than paying monthly. Keep away from anything to do with Asbestos; it costs a fortune in insurance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom