fixing of ladder internal on scaffold platform.

Attak

Reaction score
Dear,

can any one give us details about fixing of ladder internaly on multi lift working platform,

Regard's

Ideally using single lift ladders on an external tower, perfectly acceptable. What exactly would you like to know?

The Hierarchy of access
1 Staircase
2 ladder access bays with single lift ladders
3 ladder access bays with multiple lift ladders
4 internal ladder access with protected ladder trap
5 external ladder access using a safety gate

Vertical distance between landings should not exceed 9.0m
Access holes should be at least 450mm in width measured across the platform and should be as small as practicable in the other direction but not less than 600mm long
Ladders should be secured with the appropriate ladder clamp or 5mm lashing as per scaffold training

The gap must be max 600 and singel lift ladder and trapdoor must be fitted or gate and 450 wide fixed at top as scaffold training

Last edited:
Nice call but no trap door will cover any bigger gap and a gate only covers 740mm

aom do you use trap doors or put ladder gate across to stop idiots falling down access hole

Hi Superscaff75, I'm afraid I have so far resisted the temptation to invest in these contraptions, the main reason being the truck is already full of ancillary equipment that a scaff only 2 years retired wouldn't recognise. We are still using butts to protect the ladder and external ladder towers where possible whereby you can just extend the handrail of the main job to make a staggered route to the ladder. I was in London a couple of weeks ago and just across from the Landmark hotel there was a job that had more ladder gates made up on it than I've got ladders even although the ladder was internal on the main platform. Obviously the client insisted on them but without wanting to sound too cheeky it looked like a bag of knitting.

too true aom , ive been fiddling about with our truck bodies for a whille now, bolting bits on, bolting bits off, boxes underneath , you just seem to spend so much time strapping up and unloading things at jobs thats not need at that job so then it needs to go back on for nxt job , somethings we carry around in case we need them but there is only so much you can fit on a wagon before it starts getting in the way of operations, dont really want to fit anything permanently above the body, as it stops forlifts loading unloading, sites arent safe to leave kit stacked on them somedays its a true nightmare

We try and pretty much succeed at never ever leave gear staked on a site. Usually the only time that happens is a supply only where every stick is counted and charged easily if missing at the end.

I take it with all these secret compartments you have on the truck you are using the gates? We had a few different one's on trial for a while but they just annoyed me and I'm going to hold out as long as I can. What about loading bay gates, you surely dont have a compartment made up for them. I hate seeing a truck roll in the yard with 3t of tube sitting on a gate.

we dont use trapdoors at present, we have ladder gates , yes sliding barrier for loading bays, alloy steps type stools we sometimes use for basing out on front streets to get bit extra height :suspicious: sign boards, tredda plates, netting/sheeting, drills, sthil saw, ties, red/white tape and sponge protectors, nipple caps tube caps , actual ladders for jobs, different sized boards, straps an ropes for wagon .

although generally not all on wagon at same time the above is an example of all diff kit you gotta carry , add to this lads work gear bags etc etc it can get quite cramped aboard a 7-5 tonner.

add to this say poss scaff step, advanced handrails, inertia blocks, flashy haz light , poss road cones the list is endless

i prob forget something aswell :laugh:

we dont use trapdoors at present, we have ladder gates , yes sliding barrier for loading bays, alloy steps type stools we sometimes use for basing out on front streets to get bit extra height :suspicious: Sign boards, tredda plates, netting/sheeting, drills, sthil saw, ties, red/white tape and sponge protectors, nipple caps tube caps , actual ladders for jobs, different sized boards, straps an ropes for wagon .
milk crates
although generally not all on wagon at same time the above is an example of all diff kit you gotta carry , add to this lads work gear bags etc etc it can get quite cramped aboard a 7-5 tonner.

Add to this say poss scaff step, advanced handrails, inertia blocks, flashy haz light , poss road cones the list is endless

i prob forget something aswell :laugh:

efa :D

Yeah tell me about it, but here's one for you, couple all that and add you aren't allowed to climb on the truck to retrieve your kit and what do you do?

We were at a job recently and the guy said no one was allowed to climb on the truck to get the gear, usually no problem as using tube you just pull it out as you use it but I had a load of stillaged system and their machine was going to sling it off for me but I couldn't climb up and put the slings on. He was also going on about how a driver came on site with all the right kit rams, lifting plan the works and hit him with the same thing and stopped the job, he was delighted with himself. No matter how hard I tried I kept getting pulled up for being on the back of the truck, I wasn't being awkward, I just kept forgetting.

I'm in the process of buying a new truck and hiabb, the reason being I didn't want the boy's up on the truck if I could help it, surely I won't have to buy slings for every stillage fit them load with the forklift then try and hook them with the hiaab like a diddy fisherman?

some managers are so proud of stopping the job arent they , then when you go back for payment tel you that you have cost them a days work, i like the roll onoff trucks if we were to upgrade above 7-5 ton i think that is where we would go

Top Bottom